Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

No serive history but 'PASS' carfax report

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Default No serive history but 'PASS' carfax report

Hi guys

I am looking for C220 95 model..Seems like a good deal.. Has done 82k miles and is being sold for $ 6000 by a dealer but it doesnt have any service history papers. But this car has OK carfax report. Is it worth buying it?? anything to look in particular??
Please guide
Thanx

Old 04-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Default RE: No serive history but 'PASS' carfax report

Has the car been serviced at the dealer? Can they tell you anything about the previous owner?

I have a '95 C280 I paid $6000 for it but it had all it records and an old lady had it. I have had very little trouble with it soI guess I got lucky..

Old 04-11-2006, 08:38 PM

the dealer says that an old gentleman came and sold off his car ...And he says he got it checked by his mechanic and its fine. But no records or anything. He hasnt serviced the car.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:46 PM

Will the dealer let you have the car checked out by someone that you know or another dealer?

Old 04-11-2006, 08:53 PM

How much faith are you putting into Car Fax. That is something else you need to think about.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:57 PM

Yea man..Thanx for replies..
Thats wat I am figuring out as to how reliable carfax report is ??
I was wondering if anyone had any bad experiences with carfax?
About getting car checked by my own mech. I dint ask this but I dont think he shud have any problems. Otherwise its a staright no no

Old 04-11-2006, 09:27 PM

What is your gut feeling on the car have you driven it? You nee dto talk to the dealer. This may be a good car so check these things out before you blow it off...

Old 04-11-2006, 09:44 PM

I think Carfax is probably a good reference point and may highlight something major that has happened to a car, but that is about it. I've pulled Carfax reports on probably a dozen vehicles lately, and only 1 showed that anything bad (OK, may have been that they all were Mercedes). I pulled a report for one of our current cars, which I know was in a wreck (7K worth or damage) a few years ago and it came up clean, so I am not sure what it takes for something to show-up on a Carfax report.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:05 PM

Thanx for support
I ll test drive the car on this weekend... and try my best to find some fault....
If I need to get an extended guarantee.. wat type of guarantee shud I get?? Are there any tricks on that too??
Thanx again

Old 04-13-2006, 12:45 PM

I believe these cars (like my '95 C280) have the biodegradable engine wiring harness. I had to have mine replaced at 90k. It literally was falling apart, just brittle little pieces. It will cost about $1000 or more to have it replaced. Additionally, the throttle actuator (much more expensive to replace if you buy a new one, but rebuilt ones are available) are also made of the same crappy wire. Take a look at the wires that go into the camshaft position sensor. If the coating is all cracked and brittle and there's copper wire exposed, figure that you might be in for a wire harness replacement in the future. Good luck.

Quick Reply: No serive history but 'PASS' carfax report