Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

A newbie with problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Default A newbie with problems

Hello to everyone out there! My name is Omead and I just bought a 1995 Mercedes C280. Wanting to find out more about the car, I joined this forum, and hope to help out with what I know and learn a few new tricks.

I love the car and the previous owner took great care of it. It's got 187,000 miles on it, but runs, drives and looks like it's got 50k. Anyhoo, it does have a couple of little issues I would like to get resolved, and hopefully someone out there can give me some advice. I have looked on this forum, as well as on the web inside and out, but have had no luck.

The two major issues I'm dealing with initially are:

1. The sunroof does not work correctly. When you press the button for the tilt feature, only one side tilts up while the other stays down. Upon trying to close the sunroof from the tilt setting, it seems like it gets stuck. It requires helping it with your hand to move it back.
If trying to open the sunroof, it seems like it's really struggling to open it as it does so very slowly and stops after about 3 inches of travel. Also, the sunroof does not slide evenly. One side seems to slide more than the other. Upon inspection, I found that on the inside of the car, the plastic accordion piece that flexes as the sunroof tilts up and down is totally loose and I was able to take it off. The accordion piece seems to be attached to a track of some sort and I noticed a broken piece on the track/accordion part.

2. The driver's side power seat moves in all direction except for the forward and backward movement of the bottom cushion. It does not sound like the motor is moving at all.

3. The passenger side power seat headrest does not move. It does sound like the motor is working when the switch is used.

Any help, suggestions, or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Default RE: A newbie with problems

Considering the age of the car it is probobly a burnt out motor. Sometime people drop coins down the seat & they get lodged in the mechanism causing it to jam, cease or burn out.
Welcome to our world & I hope the are easy fixes.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:46 PM

If the accordion thing is loose on the sunroof, it is a clear indication that it had been fooled around with. In such case, chances are your sunroof will leak. Didn't the seller sell you the car on a clear dry day?

Left and right side of the sunroof do not go in harmony is not a good sign. Sunroof repair is difficult and expensive though it seems like a basic, easy, or simple chore.

Welcome to the Benz world anyway. And best of luck with your roof and seat.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:47 PM

Welcome! You' find help here and hopefully on the items you're dealing with now. You probably realize when buying a car with that many miles and years on it, you'd likely have to put some money into it. However, if the previous owner really did take good care of it, like keeping the oil changed, etc, you've got a good basic car to work with and repairs will pay off in the long run.

Old 01-16-2006, 04:55 AM

Thanks! I got a pretty good deal on the car, even with the problems. Where is the motor for the sunroof located?

Old 01-16-2006, 06:05 PM

WELCOME to the Mercedes Family.

I think you can bet your bottom dollar it will not be the sunroof motor at fault, it will be the cable mechanism that will be stiff and the cables may have str-e-a-c-h-ed. The mechanism should also never be oiled - just cleaned.

The cables and motor mechanism are usually located up front behind the front screen, however the only way to service this in any way is to drop the unit out, and yes this means the roof lining also, and in some vehicles - it will mean removing either the front or rear wind shield. Personally - I would not bother if you have A/C or climate control... Mine is a 2001 w203 (New Shape C class FYI) with CC and no glass roof - just a tin top.

As for you seat, I'm with the other guys, either a jammed coin or burnt out motor, unbolt the seat and you will see easlily.

Best of luck.

Peter-Brooklyn

2001 w203 C320 - Elegance - Brilliant Silver - Black Leather - Premium Wheels - CD

[IMG]local://upfiles/8150/9873B836329848AABB0F37D2B5F05337.jpg[/IMG]