Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Default RE: Navigation

Then who can do it and how much will it cost?
I'm in Boston area.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:39 AM

Folks, I am getting a aftermarket Pioneer AVIC-D2 installed in my wife's 2002 C320 wagon this Thursday. I don't have cell phone in this car and don't care about the volume +/-. I may opt to get a Pioneer steering wheel control and be done with it.

All wiring harness and dash kits are available for the C class. It took me a long time to find a installer who agreed to install it. I do have BOSE speakers and perhaps an amp. Wish me luck as it has been a struggle finding a good installer.

Dash kit: http://www.scosche.com/scosche_carau...ItemID=MZ2340B

Wiring harness: http://www.scosche.com/scosche_carau...8&ItemID=VW01B

Old 06-14-2006, 04:30 PM

Hey Sunny,

That sounds good. I like that Pioneer alot although I would probably get the AVIC- Z1. A bit more expensive but might be worth it. I also found out that most places can install an aftermarket bluetooth sytem to integrate with the car speakers. So basically the only thing that gets lost is the volume control on the steering wheel and to skips songs or channels, which is really no big deal once you get used to it.

How much are you getting charged for your pioneer, with installation?

Old 06-15-2006, 10:09 AM

I paid $960 for the unit. The reason I did not get the Z1 was that it is for my wife's car and she did not care about the added features of the Z1. She just wanted something easy to use to get to from point A to B, but did not want one of the portable units...

The sales person from whom I bought the unit from told me that Pioneer is working on a bluetooth add-on for D2 and will be available by fall this year.

My install is scheduled for this afternoon and I believe it is going to cost me around $250. I will not know the exact amount unit later today.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:10 AM

ORIGINAL: BigSis

ORIGINAL: vytamenc

sorry but big sis is 100% wrong that navi unit is not even for your car and yes it must be prewired for your car sorry.
Funny... I have a brother who travels around the world and who performs LOTS of mods in MBs... of which most dealerships say that 'it is defintely not possible'.

Believe me: retrofitting a nav.unit in a W203 IS possible without having to modify any wires. And a GPS antenna can be installed underdash. It will fully integrate with a possibly factory fitted phone kit, it will integrate with the steering wheel controls, it will integrate with the CD changer...

greetingz,

BigSis
Greetingz BigSis. Give my regards to Steve. You two are a wealth of information on MB cars.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

BigSis really do enlighten lots of questions here.

i fully agree with her.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:54 AM

I did a Magellan unit for my C230K that I bought at COSTCO (my all-time favorite store) for about 500 bucks.
Hard wired it into the fuse box on the lower left hand side, hid the wire behind the rubbery moulding, and it sits on the far left corner of the dash kinda hidden out of the way of anything. I can move it from car to car easily. This thing is so easy to work and very accurate. Nothing more to buy or do. No "software" to fool with, etc. I know it's not a built in unit and I'm not comparing it to one, but for the money.....these things are great. Just my 2 cents. Did I mention I LOVE Costco? OK. :-)

Old 06-21-2006, 01:34 PM

I actually had the Magellan unit, which we did buy from COSTCO and my wife loved it. It is simple, straightforward and accurate. But, I wanted the custom look and end up spending $960 for the unit and another $650 for the install. The install included a 4 ch amp to bypass FO in the car (HU to amp).

Well, it looks great and it is no better in navigation than the Magellan. The reason I did not want the Magellan unit was/is that I am afraid my wife will leave it attached to the windshield for anyone to break into the car and take it. I just did not like it attached to the windshield with the mount. Plus, it did not integrate well with the sound system of the car. I had to constantly change the volume setting of the radio or the Magellan.

My recommendation based on what I know thus far... buy Magellan type of unit if above things don't bug you. This option is much better on your wallet too.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:39 PM

I wholeheartedly agree......the Magellan unit begs to be stolen and is fairly visible even where I have it mounted. So, now I leave it in the trunk until I'm going on a trip away from home. Not convenient, but out of sight, out of mind. I bought mine so I can move it from car to car easily, which it is. Hardwiring is much cleaner looking and hiding it in the far left corner by the windshield post is better as far as others seeing it goes, but.......you know how that goes. I like the look of the built-in units myself.

Old 06-21-2006, 05:05 PM

Hey Sunny,

How did the install go? You think you can post some pictures to show what it looks like? I noticed that the pioneer unit is much smaller then the actual face of the radio. Was curious to see how they installed it to make it flush. Thanks....

Quick Reply: Navigation