Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Default Navigation

Does anyone know if you can install a factory benz nav system if you bought the car without it? On ebay somone is selling one but I was told that the car need to be pre-wired while they are building the car. Any help would be great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._BID_Stores_IT

Old 05-31-2006, 10:31 AM
Default RE: Navigation

It is - of course - possible to retrofit a navigation unit which doesn't come with nav. from factory. And no, the car doesn't need to be 'pre-wired'. You can add an underdash GPS antenna, which will work well (provided that the front windshield isn't tinted too much).

Do keep in mind that if you purchase a comand unit off e-Bay, you probably have to get the additional parts yourself... somewhere. Also, if you have a 2005+ C-class, you need to get the car reprogrammed through Stardiagnose after the nav.system has been retrofitted.

greetingz,

BigSis

Old 05-31-2006, 12:05 PM

Thanks Big Sis,

I have an 05 C230 Sedan. Would my dealer be able to re-program if for me? When I asked them if I could install a factory nav system, they told me no. This is what confused me. Do you have any suggestions as to who I can go to get this done?

Old 06-04-2006, 12:45 PM

I know someone who can do it for you, but it depends a bit on where you are located. If interested in getting more info, please send me a PM or an email.

On the other hand, if you find a 2005+ navigation system for your car, and you can retrofit it yourself, any dealership should be able to reprogram your car through Stardiagnose in order to make the set up work flawlessly. If your own dealer isn't willing to do it for you, you could check others in your area.

greetingz,

BigSis

Old 06-08-2006, 01:38 AM

sorry but big sis is 100% wrong that navi unit is not even for your car and yes it must be prewired for your car sorry.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:56 AM

SO confused I am. I have a 1 yes and a 1 no, can anyone esle provide any answers? Thanks Vytamenc. I would hate to buy it and get screwed.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:05 PM

I'm interested in this post too.

When I had a service at MB dealership I asked how much will it cost to upgrade my car with GPS - they said approx 2000$ and don't really recommended to do that. Because it is not worst or something else, not sure.

has anybody else had any experience with this?

Old 06-08-2006, 05:29 PM

check into a aftermarket navigation.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:01 PM

Well any aftermarket Nav system will cut out the phone integration controls and also wipe out the steering wheel controls. You have to decide if this is all worth it. Plus the different type of models out there are not custom, so the person installing it would have to figure a way to make it look clean. The mercedes radio unit is much larger then the slide out touch screen GPS systems

Old 06-08-2006, 07:02 PM

ORIGINAL: vytamenc

sorry but big sis is 100% wrong that navi unit is not even for your car and yes it must be prewired for your car sorry.
Funny... I have a brother who travels around the world and who performs LOTS of mods in MBs... of which most dealerships say that 'it is defintely not possible'.

Believe me: retrofitting a nav.unit in a W203 IS possible without having to modify any wires. And a GPS antenna can be installed underdash. It will fully integrate with a possibly factory fitted phone kit, it will integrate with the steering wheel controls, it will integrate with the CD changer...

greetingz,

BigSis

Quick Reply: Navigation