Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Is my car possessed by a Demon?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 09:40 PM
Default Is my car possessed by a Demon?

1999 C230 Kompressor, 77000 miles has been a great car. Yesterday wife stopped to fill up with gas. Leaving gas station noticed the check engine light on continued down the road (not smart) and car would not upshift out of 1st gear. Drove it home in first gear about 25 miles an hour. Today I called a local shop (not Mercedes I am about 40 miles from the nearest dealer) they read the codes and said could be a speed sensor in the transmission, wiring, or the computer. On the way back from the shop, I lowered a window and it would not come back up, tried all four and eventually ended up with all windows down (warm day in Oklahoma). Back home I decided to remove a battery cable and let the computer reset. Trunk would not open with remote, had to use key. Removed battery cable for 30 mineuits. Started car, no check engine light, windows go up and down, trunk remote works. Go for a test drive still will not upshift, shifts from park to reverse and low just fine. On test drive windows again fail to raise and trunk remote stops working. Is this maching possessed? Do I need an excercist or a new computer?
All help greatly appreciated.

Old 12-26-2005, 10:19 PM
Default RE: Is my car possessed by a Demon?

Sounds like you might have the proverbial car that was made on a Monday or Friday afternoon. Try disconnect the negative terminal on your battery for 10 minutes, they reconnect, this will reset your ECU, but there is a procedure for resetting the windows, sunroof, esp and the remote key, if you didn't do all these resets after you disconnected the battery, would explain some of the problems this is out lined in the manual.did you disconnect the positive terminal? I had some gremlins and was told to disconnect the negative terminal and never the positive terminal. On the other hand when I need a new battery both terminals wer disconnected for a good 20 minutes, as the old battery leaked acid and I spent some time cleaning the mess with baking sode and water, try doing the same procedure but disconnect the negative terminal onlyand only for 10 minutes, no less, but you can go 2 or minutes more.and follow the procedures to reset the above mentioned functions and you still have problems, you might be in for the long haul at the dealer. What sounds like the limp home mode was engaged in the transmission, however is a puzzle, as I am not sure if the battery trick effects that.

Old 12-27-2005, 02:16 PM

Why not read the ECL problem codes? They will still be in memory even though you did a battery disconnect.[8D]

Old 12-28-2005, 05:03 PM

Yes, good idea, disconnect the battery is like reboot on a computer, you loose nothing of the information stored. A Mercedes tech told me, this cars never shut off. that is when you take out the key lock the cars for the evening. The computer is still check 24/7 systems in the car.
Quite a age we live in.

My son and daughter bought me a telescope for Xmas. You can hook up a laptop or PDA to it, laptop preferred as you would have to download form the laptop to the PDA. It comes with a couple of CDs. Also, it has 5 focus lens cup attachments, and 4 optical enhancement attachments, and three tripods. When you have download the CDs to your laptop or PDA, or you can run them without downloading. The first CD tells you to go to google.com and sign in on the satelite maps, and find your longitude and latitude, type it in. Then type in what you want to look at, there are maps of the sky included both paper and on the CDs and according to what time of the year and time of night it is and you have a USB port on your computer the telescope will aim itself to the general area of the sky where the star of nebula or whatever is located. It will also advice what focus lens cup to use and what magification to use. This information is in Chapter 3 of the manual that is supplied. Chapter's 1 and 2 tell you how to put the thing together. Haven't read them yet. But as I as what a age we live in.