Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Motorola bluetooth kit alternative...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Default Motorola bluetooth kit alternative...

Hello,

New member with first post. First, great site. I just bought my wife an '05 C230. She loves it but I have been studying up on the built in phone situation. I was wondering if anyone had installed a Motorola HF-850 bluetooth car kit instead of spending $700 to $1000 for the Argos or comparable alternatives? Her vehicle is supposedly pre-wired but can't verify that also. Thanks in advance for any friendly advice. It was just a thought...

Mike[/align]

Old 02-20-2007, 12:20 AM
Default RE: Motorola bluetooth kit alternative...

Hello Mike,

Does you new used 230 have a nav system in it? If not,you have some options.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:24 PM

Argos' MOST version is expected to be available in March.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:42 PM

No navigation. I don't want to beat a dead dog, I have seen this topic numerous times and wanted to look at another option. I thought if it was pre-wired there would be some hook up in the arm rest. There is nothing there, so the first thing I thought was $$$. The Motorola set up is pretty slick. I figured I could remove the ashtray and mount the remote there. That way with the door closed everything would look stock.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:43 PM

I'm all ears though if you have suggestions.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:27 PM

Mike-
Are you certain it's not prewired? Look at the bottom of the armrest w/ the lid raised. If you have a sheathed conductor exiting the storage bin and entering the armrest, you are (and your YM) should be. I have 2005 C230 SS and it IS prewired. The diagrams to examine this are here :
http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/phone_bulletins.htm

IF you are prewired, then you need the puck/adaptor, and a suitable phone. Apparently the kits accomodate some, not all, bluetooth compatible phones.

I am on the same journey, in a paralle universe it seems.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the great link! After looking at it, I will not commit either way until I can get into the car. I haven't seen much of it or my wife since I brought it home Friday. I'm figuring she will be close to running out of gas and will be more than happy to let me drive then! I'll look this evening when she walks in. I need to study the diagrams also. Looks like a pretty good undertaking. I use to install stereos, amps and speakers in my younger days. It's getting hard to get down on my knees and contort my back like it is sometimes required to get underneath a dash. I will keep in touch with my findings.

Speaking of the puck and adapter. Are you talking about the HMI? That is what the bluetooth puck works with if you don't have the Mercedes purchased phone correct?

Thanks again for the response and link. Mike

Old 02-23-2007, 09:17 PM

OK. Finally got a look and yes there is a wrapped wire going into the arm rest. So what is next? Wait for the argos kit? Find a UHI and bluetooth puck? Once again, thanks for the input. I'm not ignorant, just MB ignorant! Mike

Old 03-07-2007, 04:33 PM

I thought maybe I would piggyback on this conversation, if that's okay. I just bought a 2007 C230 Sport that came pre-wired as well. I went to www.wireless4mb.com and since I have a Bluetooth phone, I wanted to get the MHI Bluetooth Interface Module. However, it appears that I can only use the "phone" in my car IF I have the 3 carriers listed. This sucks. Is there anyway I can keep my current wireless carrier andget the Bluetooth module??? I know sometimes there are ways around these complicated things. [&o] I love this car... and I would like to use the phone too. ::sigh::

Old 03-07-2007, 04:51 PM

Do you currently have dealer or factory installed MHI phone system in your car?

ORIGINAL: caseyface

I thought maybe I would piggyback on this conversation, if that's okay. I just bought a 2007 C230 Sport that came pre-wired as well. I went to www.wireless4mb.com and since I have a Bluetooth phone, I wanted to get the MHI Bluetooth Interface Module. However, it appears that I can only use the "phone" in my car IF I have the 3 carriers listed. This sucks. Is there anyway I can keep my current wireless carrier andget the Bluetooth module??? I know sometimes there are ways around these complicated things. [&o] I love this car... and I would like to use the phone too. ::sigh::

Quick Reply: Motorola bluetooth kit alternative...