Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Merc C240 - Gives Display faulty, Brake lining wear,ABS, ESP faults all at once

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Default Merc C240 - Gives Display faulty, Brake lining wear,ABS, ESP faults all at once

[:@]
My Merc 2001 C240 has only 70000 Km on the clock and all of a sudden, it comes up with errors on display in following order:
Brake lining Wear
ABS Faulty
ESP Faulty
Display Panel Faulty
Visit Service station - not sure if that is German for come andpay some more money.

I have checked the brreak pads and they are still fine by a great margin.
The vehicle can be placed in Drive but when you drive it does not change gears at all.It totally sucks - not even my old Toyota Coralla did that to me. Can anyone advise from experience on such errors and possible cause. If this is a common problem then my faith in Merc Benz quality will be dashed .. that is for sure.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Default RE: Merc C240 - Gives Display faulty, Brake lining wear,ABS, ESP faults all at once

Hi
Take it & get it scanned or check that all your fuses are o.k. Does the ABS kick in when U try 2 lock up the brakes? It shouldn't but if the display only is bad then it would work as designed. Sounds like there might be no power check the front SAM(left E box) for fuses but best of 3 take to Indi.MB shop with proper tooling.

Good Luck

Old 02-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Default RE: Merc C240 - Gives Display faulty, Brake lining wear,ABS, ESP faults all at once

Hey. =) Just had this problem. EXACT PROBLEM! It's an ESP control module. Mercedes will try and sell you brakes and rotors as well but after the ESP has been replaced all the malfunction messages go away and the car functions normally again. The ESP alone ran me $1365. Which was horrid!!! But I'm happy I got my car back. I posted the same question in the C class forum so I felt compelled to answer. My car only has 53K miles......so I'm really leary as to what they mean by "quality" at this point. My parents have a Toyota Camry and it's going on 265,000 with NO major repairs just regular main.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:13 AM

OK,the problem seems to be the following..
Looks like a mercedes banz design fault if you ask me. The ESP Control unit has this plug module that connects to whatever it the unit plugs into. When they removed the ESP control unit, this plug module had water in it, and two of thecopper pins have rusted off (bottom ones).. and those are the ones that carries the signal to ABS , Display etc. So the result is that you have to replace the ESP control unit for about $1300 just to fix 2 copper pins probably not even worth $10 in total. How ubsurd can that be?

Old 03-20-2008, 03:17 PM

I had the same thing happen to me, but thank god it took place under warranty. When I recently went to Hobbs, NM. we ran into a rain and snow storm where the problem re occurred. I think it is a moisture problem. Currently fighting the dealership that replaced the original ESP unit. I believe I'm going to have to get MB involved.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:37 PM

Could any of you tell us where the module is located? Maybe we should be a little pro-active in keeping this area water tight for those of us who have yet to esperience this problem? I have a 2003 C240, Maybe MB solved this problem by then??

Thanks

Old 01-14-2020, 09:50 AM

Hello,
I have the same problem and I recently replaced the YAW sensor, which was causing the car to break by itself. That problem is gone and now I have ABS ESP brake lining switch and the car gets stuck in gear one and this happens every other day??? I need to turn on and turn off the engine then it works. The sensor shows a bunch of C120 etc code not meaning full at all.

Could this be an ABS sensor?
Thanks

Old 01-22-2020, 03:26 PM

Hi!
Had a similar issue with an E550 that I previously owned.
A number of warning messages would come on. The car driving in low gear is it's way of being "safe" when it thinks the safety systems may not function correctly.
In my case, the issue turned out to be water entering through a front, side-marker lamp causing a short in the electrical system. (The problem started right after I took the car through a car wash!)
This is the downside of the wires in the newer vehicles carrying signals from multiple sources. (So in the above case, the affected wires were not dedicated just to marker lamp.)
Don't know if this is necessary the issue with your vehicle, but something to be aware of.
Good luck!

Old 01-22-2020, 10:41 PM
Red face

Originally Posted by mb x3
Hi!
Had a similar issue with an E550 that I previously owned.
A number of warning messages would come on. The car driving in low gear is it's way of being "safe" when it thinks the safety systems may not function correctly.
In my case, the issue turned out to be water entering through a front, side-marker lamp causing a short in the electrical system. (The problem started right after I took the car through a car wash!)
This is the downside of the wires in the newer vehicles carrying signals from multiple sources. (So in the above case, the affected wires were not dedicated just to marker lamp.)
Don't know if this is necessary the issue with your vehicle, but something to be aware of.
Good luck!
Thank you. It did start when the rain started... I will check.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:36 AM

My identical problem turned out to be the cluster itself. Particularly bad in colder weather, that is about 45F or below. Oh, on a 2003 C240 wagon with about 130K miles at the time.

Quick Reply: Merc C240 - Gives Display faulty, Brake lining wear,ABS, ESP faults all at once