Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

MBZ Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 12:54 PM
Default MBZ Impressions

I am new to this forum, and joined because I am thinking very seriously of getting a C-Class, most likely used. I know there are probably plenty of posts out there in this regard, but I'd like anybody to chime in with their impressions of the C Class. I am specifically interested in the following topics:

1. My personal opinion is that I like the '94-'00 look better than the '01 +. Is there a difference in quality, performance, reliability betweeen the two generations?
2. Given the global C-Class question, how would you current owners rate the car overall?
3. Is there any specific model/year to stay away from because of notorious reliability issues?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

-Brad, Portland, OR

Old 05-16-2005, 01:24 PM
Default RE: MBZ Impressions

I have a 99 C280, which I bought as a pre owned Starmarked car over 3 years ago. So far I had to replace the front brake pads, and brake fluid. Under warranty the MAS and O2 sensor were replaced. I changed the oil every 5K. The only thing I consider a problem, I am on my third battery since I got the car. The dealer tells me I don't drive it enough, which is true, it has 49K plus miles on the odo. I rate it a 8 or perhaps 9 on 1 to 10 scale (10 the best). Even though I had battery problems the car always starts, the batteries had a tendency to leak. Its a comfortable ride, but not a great amount of leg room in rear, but a hugh trunk. The V6 is fast enough to keep up with most cars in its class. Handles surprisingly well, the Sport model of the C280 probably is tighter. If you could find a AMG version of the 99 or 00 of the C class W202 and its not beaten to the ground then you got yourself a ride, that all the above but a lot faster.

The W203's 2001 and up had a few problems area the first couple of years, electrical mostly. I think the quality of the W202 is much better, especially later in the cars model year. As far as looks, the W202 is now a "classic" box style, Mercedes as I call them. The first new style C Classes look like every other car in the world. My wife bought a new Hyundai XC350 and most of the neighbors thought is was a Mercedes. So your buying a classic look with the W 202

Old 05-16-2005, 10:23 PM

Hey.
I own a 94 c280, the 94-96* came out with an inline 6, which is a good motor, but had a few problems, if u get one with a straight six motor before you buy do some "research" as to if it has had both a new head gasget and new engine wiring loom(mainly in the earlier ones 94-95ish). these are seen to be the two biggest problems with these cars.
the newer *96-00 with the v6 seem to be the better(in reliability) as they dont have this problem.
make sure u get a 280 atleast not a 220 or 200 etc. 280 sport are nice, as i have one
and yea get all the good stuff which should go with a merc like leather seats and sunroof etc.
have fun

Old 05-17-2005, 11:02 AM

My 99 came with standard full leather seating, sunroof and all the electronics, ESP an heat seaters are extra, as is windshield cleaners, the 99 and 00 are good deals for what you get. The sunroof is extra also, it is in the package with the full leather. But the car comes with standard leather seats.

Old 05-19-2005, 04:44 PM

The best thing I like about W202 (96-00) is the headlight.

The headlight is GLASS where W203 has plastic lens assembly. Also, fog-light is integrated in it, so no more wimpy broken fog lights that sit low and take the road debris.

Another thing I like is that -- satellite tracking is not built-in. So you can be assured that no part of the car can every trasmit your position to any authority.

V6 is better than the old I6 from the previous models.

The car does not "sit down" like a fxxking BMW when you put the car in gear from PARK or NEUTRAL.

Here is the list of what I do not like:

(1) Cruise-control is a stick confusing with the turn signal stick. MB knew it was a mistake so they later made it a thumb switch just like in Acura and Lexus, or a normal car.

(2) Unlike a Toyota or a Honda, various electrical devices will fail periodically. They are tail lights, brake lights, relays, and oxygen sensors.

(3) Plating or coating on the alloy wheels peals off so prematurely even compared to junky Detroit cars.

(4) A/C is on by default. You have to press "EC" to turn it off. Then a little red light will be ON as if something is wrong.

(5) Vent (fresh-air) shut-off switch will not stay in RECYCLE for long. There is a smart-*** 5-minute timer that will turn it back to outside-air mode. This troubles me when I drive on I-35 north of Des Moines where they use condensed cow **** for fertilizer. You have to catch that 5-min timer or you smell like ****. Once, I almost hit a semi-trailer because I was paying attention to catch that "5-min timer auto vent back on" to siwtch back to recycle. May the person who invented that die in terrible accident violently! May he/she suffer for a long long time!

Old 05-20-2005, 03:00 AM

quote ORIGINAL: fly_major_fly
Another thing I like is that -- satellite tracking is not built-in. So you can be assured that no part of the car can every trasmit your position to any authority. - neva thought of that :-)

The car does not "sit down" like a fxxking BMW when you put the car in gear from PARK or NEUTRAL.
Wheres Park?

(4) A/C is on by default. You have to press "EC" to turn it off. Then a little red light will be ON as if something is wrong.
-oh so ec turns the econ off :-)

Good points tho :-)

Old 05-20-2005, 01:38 PM

If you live in the USA the W202 headlight lenses are also plastic. As far as your other comparisions, you can't compare a Mercedes to a Honda or Toyota. Also, the dislikes you listed, Mercedes are drivers cars. and Germans like to do things for themselves like turn on the EC. I'll never buy a car with GPS, too much Big Brother stuff. Maps are good.

Old 05-20-2005, 03:51 PM

I live in the USA and my '99 C280 is DOT Spec. The headlights are GLASS, not plastic.

EC = A/C OFF. Factory default is "EC OFF = AC ON".

Nowadays, there are many UNNECESSARY value-added features that make the car more expensive (so they make more $$$). For example, there are NO more HVAC manual controls anymore. They are all automatic and cutely dubbed "climate control".

These climate controls **** me off. For example, an LS430 I drove recently does not have a manual fan speed control switch. In order to increase the fan speed, you have to lower the temperature setting. (Yes, even after turning the AUTO mode off!). I was driving for my brother's wedding on US101 in SF and almost got killed while looking for a fan speed control setting. I am sure new MB and BMW do the same **** nowadays.

I heard that BMW's controls are so difficult that if you buy a brand new beamer, you have to take a class at the dealership to learn the controls.

I also heard that new S600 will not start immediately when you turn the key. It will weigh the car, compute the CG, and blah blah blah. This jerk-off routine takes about 10-sec, or so I was told. Any truth in this?

Car makers, if you want to put some very expensive & complicated but useful features, you can put these things:
(1) Smell and dust sensor MKII that will put the car's vent in RECYCLE when passing through a dead skunk, construction site, or an polluted area;
(2) A climate control system that will maintain cabin humidity at 50-60% in addition to precise temp and fan speed;
(3) Windows that will darken on precise areas so that the sun will not hit the driver;
(4) Active noise-cancellation system MKII so that the cabin is more quiet than a library; and
(5) Ejection seat to eject bitchy expensive dates or the crying babies out of the car SAFELY.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:57 PM

You live in the US and have glass lenses. Are you from an alternate universe, passing by us thru a wormhole?

Old 05-20-2005, 07:59 PM

After reading you list, I suggest you buy a Chevy or perhaps a Ford, then you wouldn't have to be P off all the time.

Quick Reply: MBZ Impressions