Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

manual TANSMISSION FLUID CHANGE-HOW??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 12:22 AM
mlg
Default manual TANSMISSION FLUID CHANGE-HOW??

06 c350, how do i change the mt fluid??? thanx, mike

Old 03-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Default RE: manual TANSMISSION FLUID CHANGE-HOW??

I can tell you how most manual transmission fluids are drained and refilled, but not specifically yours since I don't know
about MB manual transmissions. There will either be a "drain plug" on the bottom of the tranny somewhere and a "refill" plug on the side of it somewhere OR just a refill plug on the side of the tranny. If there is a drain plug on the bottom, remove it and carefully measure how much fluid came out to know how much to put back in. Replace plug. Then remove the refill plug on the side and put in the proper amount. You might need a tool that looks like a big syringe made for this job. It's the same tool used to remove and replace rear end fluids, etc. They aren't expensive. Fill it up and push the plunger to fill. If there is NO drain plug, then you use this tool to suck out the old fluid and replace with new. The tool has a flexible tube on the end to make it easy.

Be sure to use the correct fluid and be sure not to overfill it.
If I were doing it, I would jack the car up LEVEL to the ground, remove the plug on the side first, and stick my finger in
the hole to see where the fluid level is FIRST. Then, fill it back up to the same level.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:22 PM

^ ^ ^ Always remove the fill plug first. You don't want to have the trans drained, and then find out the fill plug won't budge.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:17 PM

Good advice. I figured since it's an '06, the plug wouldn't be an issue, but then again......why take any chances.
You should do that first anyway to stick your pinky in the hole and see where the level is. Don't do this with the
car hot. Yeoww. Tranny fluid gets hot too.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:40 AM

On some models - like my 2003 C230 Kompressor - the automatic transmission is a SEALED SYSTEM! It is "designed" to provide a vehicle's lifetime of service without maintenance?!?! Consequently, there is no drain plug, there is no dipstick, there is no maintenance reference. Kinda arrogant, don't you think??? IMO, they're asking for trouble!

Old 03-21-2008, 12:39 PM

I'm sure it will last past your warranty. Then it's your dime. So "they" aren't at any risk saying it's a "lifetime" sealed tranny.

Trust me, it's not. CHANGE THE FLUID AND THE FILTER.