Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Light SOckets in C240

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 03:15 AM
Default Light SOckets in C240

This is my first post to this forum. I hope the subject and content of the post is OK.
My 2001 C240 seems to have a problem with light sockets. I have seen about 30 occurances of "CHECK LAMP" warnings on the console. They have been mostly for turn signal but some have been Headlight and marker lights. Sometimes the warning goes away and strangely enough it often occurs only when driven with my SO's key. I.E. she tells me of the problem, I go to drive it and all is well. We have seen several quirky key problems, but that's another story. I have replaced several bulbs that did not appear to be burned out but also looked at their sockets and see what looks like arcing or corrosion on the contacts, which I tried cleaning. One time at the shop when we were discussing the key and light problemw, the service rep mentioned something about a wiring harness problem, but I haven't been able to find any more info from them or others. Anyone have any ideas of have heard about similiar problems with "C" models?

Old 08-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Default RE: Light SOckets in C240

Mercedes has a factory fix for these sockets, as they are defective, in your model up to 2002. I saw a pair on eBay yesterday, the new kind, but I can't find them. But do a search on Mercedes Benz light sockets and you might come up with them. But your dealer does have a fix, and should fix them for free even if the warranty is over.

Old 01-20-2005, 06:29 PM

Many Thanx to C280 Wizzard and wizkid. I didn't approach getting these fixed because the failures stopped for quite awhile. We live in Oregon and they started again when the damp rainy weather came back in early winter. Anyhow, I talked to Benz service guy and he mentioned only a wiring harness fix for the REAR lights(while most of my failures have been in the front). Does either of you or anyone else out there know a specific factory name or number for the generalized problem with light sockets? I don't live close to a dealer and I will be taking the car in for my last warrantee covered service some day soon and would hope to get this completely cleared up. If they only put a fix on the sockets that have failed and recorded, which they will do under warrantee, I expect some of them will fail again in a future rainy period. Thank you agin for any info you can provide.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:18 PM

First, I appreciate all the info on here re this problem. My '02 C240 has the same problem: front turn signals won't work, changing the bulbs doesn't fix it, and there are slight burn marks on one of the two contact points on each socket. My warranty has expired. First I called the parts dept. at my dealer and was told there was a "repair kit" for this problem, and the cost is $33 for each side. (I thought about doing the job myself until he mentioned there was a "wiring harness" involved, and thought better of it.) Next I called the dealer and asked if they'd be willing to fix it, since this seems like a known defect. Sensing hesitation, I offered to pay for the parts. But all they could offer me was that MB would pay for the parts ($66) but I would have to pay for the labor -- 1 hour each side, at $100/hour. Hmm. Next I wrote to the MB customer assistance center in NJ. They called me a couple days later and told me that they could not improve upon the offer my dealer had made. I pointed out that this was a recurring problem but they would not budge. The car is five years old, my warranty is up, I was going to have to pay. I guess I am disappointed that MB won't pay for this. This is my first Benz and I expected a bit more in terms of service.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:13 PM

The following is info I posted once before about this problem.

I had this done under warantee on my 02 C230 coupe. As you have found out the bulbs and the old turn signal holder create arcing if they are loose (many cars have loose fitting sockets) which causes intermittent signal failure. New bulbs don't solve the problem. Both of mine failed. The new setup includes new turn signal holder sockets and direct wiring to both sides of the socket.
Vehicle only has 27000 lm on it.
I have looked at my car to assist you if possible.
On the drivers side the new socket has BROWN and WHITE wires. The BROWN goes directly to a painted screw near the suspension tower (other brown wires are already there). The WHITE wire goes into what I assume is a fuse or relay with "PBT GF15" on the side. A BLK/WHT wire emerges from the other side. The BLK/WHT wire disappears beneath the black cloth tape that covers the wiring harness with the following 4 wires in it. Four wires; BLACK/GREY, BLACK/YELLOW, BLACK/WHITE & BROWN all go into a connector mounted behind the headlight. They made no attempt to remove any pins but instead soldered or wrapped tightly the wire underneath the black cloth tape. I do not want to remove the tape but I can tell you the whole job took less than a half hour at the dealership.

For the passenger side the BROWN wire goes directly to a painted screw to the left (outside) of the coolant system overflow. (other brown wires are already there). The WHITE still goes into the "PBT GF15" and on this side a GREEN/BLACK emerges. The GREEN/BLACK also disappears under the black cloth tape on the wiring harness that is connected to a connector mounted behind the headlights. The four wires on this side are:RED/GREY, YELLOW, WHITE & BROWN. None of the pins or connectors have been cut or removed.
This wordy description may or may not be of any use to you.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:25 PM

Anyone got pictures of doing this by your self. I bought the kit thinking I can do it my self. The description supplied above is good, but I need more details about the WHITE wire.
I have a MB 2001 C240

Old 10-13-2007, 04:59 PM

I have a malfunction indicated in my 2002 C230K. The left front turn signal is out. A month or so ago I had the malfunction and replaced the bulb and the malfunction went away. When it came back I replaced the bulb again with no success. I read about the corrosion problems andreplacement socket fix so I purchaseda replacement socketat my Mercedes dealership and installed it, cutting the white wire as indicated in the previous posts (the new part came with a white wire and a brown wire) on the existing connector and soldering the white wire from new part to the white wire lead. I connected the brown wire to the grounding post near the shock tower. No light. I checked the bulb and the new replacement socket by connecting directly to the battery and the light works. I probed all the pins on the connector lead for power with the turn signal on (rear and mirror indicators flashing) and get no power. I looked at the fuses on the left of the dash panel and underhood(even though the fuse legend says electronic for the turn signal fuse) and they all look good. I do not know what the fuse diagram means when it says electronic. Any help or insight would be appreciated so I hopefully can avoid bringing the car to the dealership for repair.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:45 PM
JWM

I have a same problem with my 2003 C240.The light socket is burned out and it's no longer working. I wend to the dealer for areplacement and they told me to bring in for a service. They need to rewire the socket with a different kit.Do I need to replace both socket? Can I replace the wiring myself. Please help!!

JWM

Old 05-12-2008, 12:48 PM

Its been a year and a half since my first post on this problem although my CL230 coupe still only has 35,000km (~22,000 miles). The wiring and socket changes for the turn signals are still working flawlessly.
This week I had to have the passenger side "Headlight" socket changed since it started using too many bulbs and was exhibiting a burnt electrical smell. MB doesn't make a new socket or harness for the CL230 but miraculously a knowledgeable parts man realized that a headlight socket harness from an ML will fit perfectly.
Problem solved. It took an hour of shop time but I was getting the battery replaced anyway.

While I am fairly handy, I decided that there are two many things to screw up due to inexperience when it comes to electrical issues so let the MB boys (& one girl) take care of the problem.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:17 PM
JWM

On my 2003 MB C240 front turn signal light problem, I FIX IT!!![8D]
I purchased a new light sockets from the dealer, $32/each,it comes with two wires, brown (for ground) and white wire (for the power from the signal relay). I connected the brown wire to ground as stated inprevious emails above and other white wire need to be connect to the white/black wire on the headlight socket. I saved $200 and it's quick and easy fix. If you have any question, send me an email.

Quick Reply: Light SOckets in C240