Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Lack of Traction - Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 05:46 PM
Default Lack of Traction - Tires

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=3>I purchased a 2002 C240 during the summer timeof 2001. The car has about 15,000 miles. </FONT></P>

<FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>The winter time right after I purchased the car, I discovered that when there is just a light dusting of snow or heavy rain, the car has very little traction and tends to slip/slide and has a lot of difficulty making it up slight slopes. </FONT></P>

<FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>A friend of mine who owns a 2003 C320 has the same problem. </FONT></P>

<FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>It has been suggested that the problem may be the tires. I keep my tires properly inflated. I find this disturbing because Mercedes Benz should be equipping their cars with tires that are safe in rain and a mere dusting of snow.</FONT></P>

<FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>Does anyone else share the same problem or have suggestions on the problem.</FONT></P>

<FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>Thanks</FONT></P>

Old 01-15-2004, 06:52 PM

I just bought the C230 Sport Sedan and drove it for the first time in the snow today, and was also surprised by how bad it was. It makes sense though. The low profile high-performance tires, just aren't made for snowy or icy conditions. Rear wheel drive makes it even worse. In good road conditions the stock tires are great, but I'm going to by a set of Blizzaks or similar winter tires and alternate them from now on.

Old 01-15-2004, 08:29 PM

dear thoganjr,</P>

I am not sure where you live, but I live in Washington, D.C., where the weather conditions are far from harsh.</P>

The tires are even terrible in heavy rain.</P>

I think that Mercedes should find a more effective tire for all-weather or inform us when we purchase the car that the tires are terrible in even less than 1/2 inch of snow. Because I do not know a lot about tires, what tires could Mercedes have used. </P>

Do I really have to get new tires? </P>

Why is it that othercars around me, like Toyotas and Hondas, seem to have no problem? </P>

Old 01-16-2004, 12:25 AM

One other problem is the rear wheel drive configuration. Rear wheel drive cars handles a lot worse than front and 4 wheel drives. </P>

I think if you live in an area with snow, you gotta get snow tires, all season tires are just not up to the task.</P>

Old 01-17-2004, 09:02 PM

Hi Guys</P>

Wide tyres on snow, spell trouble. Instead of "digging in" they just float around on the surface and slide accordingly. If you're going to use a RWD car in snowy conditions either get some snow chans or narrower rims and tyres on the driving wheels, or even better get an ML series car :-).</P>

However conversly, wide tyres on a dry tarmac road=mega traction, so I guess its a case of "horses for courses" as we say in the UK,</P>

Thanks,</P>

Mark.</P>

</P>

Old 01-18-2004, 02:11 PM

No kidding... mine is also terrible in snow (c230K). The factory installed low profile Michelins are excellent in rain and dry, but are terribly slick for snow because 1. too wide for the vehicle weight 2. the tire thread is designed for speed, therefore, after spinning a while in snow they get saturated with packed ice in the grooves and its just like using soap bars for wheels. Snow tires worked for me, but at $800 a pop + changing after winter is over was too expensive. Eitehr get a 4 wheel drive car, or get 4 "cheap" rims that fit the car, install the snow tires in those and switch the whole thing (4 rims with snow tires) before and after winter. It will not make your car as agile as a 4wd subaru, but will make it better than it is now.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:52 AM

I put blizzaks on wifes c230 Feels great in snow .EVEN she can drive it.It is like night and day.Bought the tires and rims at tire rack.com.Borbert wheels look great on C230. Now i have summer a set of Wheels and a winter set.When my summer set wear out I will get a higher perfomance tire rather then agresive tread for snow.YOU gotta have BLIZZAKS for winter driving in snow..

Old 01-21-2004, 07:04 PM

Ok, what is the difference between an all-season tireand an all-performance tire?

Old 01-23-2004, 09:50 PM

For a complete run down on Tires go to top of page and click on one of this web sites sponsors Tirerack.com. This will give a complete rundown on tire sizes and perfomance.They are great. I read all about snow tires at this site and settled on blizzaks because they tested the best on ice .Check it out. All your questions will be answered.

Old 01-24-2004, 05:32 PM

Thanks, I'll take a look. I just think it is ridiculous that I have to buy new tires when I live in Washington, D.C., where the weather is not that harsh. Why didn't Mercedes just give us appropriate tires. I can understand if they sell cars to someone in upstate NY that the owner would need snow tires, but the tires sold with the car should be able to handle just a 1/4 inch of snow.</P>

Quick Reply: Lack of Traction - Tires