Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
K&N
64.71%
Mercedes OEM Paper
35.29%
Other Branded K&N Type
0%
Other (suggest option)
0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

K&N v OEM Paper

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Default K&N v OEM Paper

KEEP ON VOTING - KEEP ON VOTING - KEEP ON VOTING

Tell me people.

If you have a v6 c320, requiring 2 elements. Would you choose for the dealer to fit OEM Paper on the next service

or - get K&N panel filters.

People keep on posting about the air flow sensor getting contaminated, I spoke to K&N in the UK and also got an email form them, however they basically said it has not actually been known to cause problems with the Meecedes - HOWEVER - not specifically tested on the v6 engines.. (sounds like a cop out to me)

What do you think??

[IMG]local://upfiles/8150/59064DA27E0D44149720D2771320F10E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Default RE: K&N v OEM Paper

The contamination is from too much oil on the filter. It has nothing to do with having a V6 or two filter elements. If you get K&Ns, use oil sparingly.

Old 01-08-2006, 03:41 AM

Save yourself some grief (and possibly some extra cash as well)

Stick with the stock filter.

I have seen so many MAS Airflow Sensors crapped out because of "over" oiling them.

Let's be real..... If the engineers at Mercedes Benz could have gained extra HP just by changing an Air Filter, don't you think they would have already done it?

Hope this helps

Old 01-08-2006, 04:23 AM

[sm=bicker.gif]Forbidden topics:
Synthetic vs organic engine oil
Turbo vs Supercharge
K&N air filter vs paper
Oil or gas additives

These topics never have a resolution. Equally intelligent and factual arguments are always presented on both sides.
Care to add to the list?

Old 01-08-2006, 12:25 PM

Let's be real..... If the engineers at Mercedes Benz could have gained extra HP just by changing an Air Filter, don't you think they would have already done it?
Okay, let's "get real." That argument is both ignorant and lame. MB engineers have to design the intake system to withstand the rigors of everyday driving (varying weather conditions) by everyday people. They don't design high-volume, mass-market cars for performance junkies.

Internal combustion engines are essentially air pumps. When you restrict air input (or output) as the MB engineers do, you restrict efficiency. When you eliminate restrictions, you increase hp. Yes, it's that simple.

If you understand what's behind the K&N design (it's not rocket science) then you should be able to figure out whether you should use one or not. For example, I wouldn't get one if you live three miles down a dusty dirt road. Neither would I cruise at 90 mph on a rainy day with one.

Another consideration is cost. It takes awhile, but the K&N will eventually cost less than replacing paper filters.

Whether or not you get one should be based on personal preference, not scare tactics by people who obviously don't know what they're talking about and are simply echoing something "determined" in an Internet forum. To get the max effect, however, you need to remove other restrictions in the airflow stream.

Be real. Use your head. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:36 PM

ORIGINAL: PBI 2001 C320

Tell me people.

If you have a v6 c320, requiring 2 elements. Would you choose for the dealer to fit OEM Paper on the next service

or - get K&N panel filters.

People keep on posting about the air flow sensor getting contaminated, I spoke to K&N in the UK and also got an email form them, however they basically said it has not actually been known to cause problems with the Meecedes - HOWEVER - not specifically tested on the v6 engines.. (sounds like a cop out to me)

What do you think??

[IMG]local://upfiles/8150/59064DA27E0D44149720D2771320F10E.jpg[/IMG]
I've have used K&N filters on every car I've have owned for at least 10 years or more and never had a problem with any of them. the secret as Lughnut said is not to over oil them. If you watch car races on SPEED TV and see an engine being prepared, 9 out of 10 times K&N type filters are used. In fact the DTM races this years, one of the sponsors was K&N and Mercedes used them in there C Class. I clean and lightly oil mine twice a year. Presently there are 4 cars at home with K&N filters and I am planing on gettin one for my 79 450SLC. They do work, More then what can be said for such devices like the tornado. Swirled air is the worse thing you can feed into your intake, tightly compressed air cold air is what a engine really likes.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:55 PM

I take all of your points, cost of MB istalling paper on next service 500 miles away is £35 for the pair. Pair of K&N is & £73, so cost is not an issue.

I previously used K&N on a Grand Cherokee V8 5.9L. No probs, and on a Chrysler/Dodge Neon, again no issues.

I referred to the V6 in particular as the is straight through from the grille, unlike most vehicles the airflow pipes bend, so the air is not rammed in, thats why I wondered about oil contamination. This has no bend at all.

With ref to another post: Performance Junkies remark, C320 with a Tank full of gas, and 2 x 6'4" adults each weighing around 250 pounds each, we got 0-60 in 6.2 secs, and that is with less than 1000 miles from the next A service. So my point being, its fater that VW golf GTI and many other so called "HOT HATCHES"

Thanks for the postings guys and girls.

Peter Brooklyn.

ORIGINAL: Lugnut

Okay, let's "get real." That argument is both ignorant and lame. MB engineers have to design the intake system to withstand the rigors of everyday driving (varying weather conditions) by everyday people. They don't design high-volume, mass-market cars for performance junkies.

Internal combustion engines are essentially air pumps. When you restrict air input (or output) as the MB engineers do, you restrict efficiency. When you eliminate restrictions, you increase hp. Yes, it's that simple.

If you understand what's behind the K&N design (it's not rocket science) then you should be able to figure out whether you should use one or not. For example, I wouldn't get one if you live three miles down a dusty dirt road. Neither would I cruise at 90 mph on a rainy day with one.

Another consideration is cost. It takes awhile, but the K&N will eventually cost less than replacing paper filters.

Whether or not you get one should be based on personal preference, not scare tactics by people who obviously don't know what they're talking about and are simply echoing something "determined" in an Internet forum. To get the max effect, however, you need to remove other restrictions in the airflow stream.

Be real. Use your head. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator

MY SLK 320 with two elements seams to work fine. Light oil IS the key and they work better slightly dirty. I did replace my MAF in November... Hum!

Old 01-11-2006, 08:50 PM

Thanks for that.

I think I will order a pair up. I think the benefits will out weigh any drawbacks (namely MAF sensor going bad).

BTW, BIKERDREW, On the SLK 320, did you notice any change in the exhaust note, torque etc? [sm=vader.gif]

Old 01-11-2006, 08:55 PM

I'm sure Drew will respond in time.

You're going to hear the intake if anything. No change in exhaust, but possibly air rushing into the intake. Could be close to a howling sound from more air rushing in... and then again, it may just sound the same (no difference).

An air filter change (even removal) won't add enough torque to where you can feel it. Anyone who tells you they can feel it is mistaken. It's merely wishful thinking.

Quick Reply: K&N v OEM Paper