Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Huming Moise from front wheels (C230 auto Estate) 2005 Plate

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Default Huming Moise from front wheels (C230 auto Estate) 2005 Plate

Dear All,

I've recently brought a C230 auto Estate on a (55 Plate). Its the V6 Petrol engine.

I've started to hear a humming noise coming from the front wheels of the car when I drive over 65 mph. If I slow down to around 50mph the sound gets softer.

Also the steering wheel vibrates quite alot over 70mph.

The front and rear tyres are a different make so I was wondering whether this could be the cause of the nosie or could it be the front wheel bearings are going on the car. It's coming up to 100,000 on the clock.

Many thanks in advance.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Talking

The steering wheel vibrating tells me there is something going on with the tires themselves which is probably balance, but could be just the tire itself. You can always swap the rears for the fronts (if the size is the same only) and try driving it again to see if that made any difference. A lot of times the symptoms you describe are tire problems. Amazing at how new tires can make a lot of difference. I have 160,000 on my '05 C230K and the front wheel bearings are the originals with no problems. That doesn't mean it couldn't be a bearing, so check that FIRST before buying two new tires. That's my advice to help you save money on tires you may not need. :-)

Old 06-02-2009, 11:58 AM

Thanks m8, I'll try swapping the tyres over and if that hasn't cured the problem then I'll have to take the car to the garage to see if it's the wheel bearings.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:48 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mrcoyote
The steering wheel vibrating tells me there is something going on with the tires themselves which is probably balance, but could be just the tire itself. You can always swap the rears for the fronts (if the size is the same only) and try driving it again to see if that made any difference. A lot of times the symptoms you describe are tire problems. Amazing at how new tires can make a lot of difference. I have 160,000 on my '05 C230K and the front wheel bearings are the originals with no problems. That doesn't mean it couldn't be a bearing, so check that FIRST before buying two new tires. That's my advice to help you save money on tires you may not need. :-)
Thanks buddy for all the advice. I took the car to the mechanics and it wasn't the front wheel bearings at all.

I didn't swap the tyres over as the fronts are 225/45/17 and the rears are 245/45/17.

Next took the car to a tyre fitters and they said the driver tyre needed replacing as the tyre thread was uneven thus causing the huming noise. Also the vibration in the steering was due to the tracking of the car and this will need to be fixed at the same time as this effects the balance.

The car's having two new front tyres today so hopefully this will sort out all the problems and it's much cheaper than getting the front wheel bearing fixed.

Thanks,

Old 06-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Talking

Glad you didn't replace the bearings. Let us know what happens with the new tire or tires.
Are you just getting that one new tire on the front? Sounds like you need an alignment as well. Balance is one thing, alignment is totally different....as you know....but they work in conjunction with each other to provide a smooth ride and correct steering along with long life for the tires. Good luck!