Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hill start

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 07:22 AM
Default Hill start

Can someone please tell me the secret to a successful hill start in a C180 with a foot pedal (hand) brake?

Old 08-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Hill start

manual transmission?

Old 08-24-2005, 08:48 AM

I don't think I'll go back to a manual transmission. Getting too old for that. That's why I bought a Merc.

Old 08-24-2005, 01:55 PM

So you bought a Merc to have it push-start?
Some manufacturers say, that if you push the car above 30 MPH, the converter suppose to turn the engine.
I tried it out of curiosity twice and with transmission on "D" nothing happen and when I shifted to "2" I felt some resistance on the drive-train, but then run out of slope.
Don't think it will work efficiently.

Old 08-24-2005, 08:58 PM

Good point! Bought a Benz for the automatic transmission, but not for a working starter feature!

Old 08-25-2005, 08:26 AM

Sorry I think we may be getting mixed up over terminology. My meaning with hill start was when you have to stop on a driveway sloping upwards to wait for the garage door to open, and then have to start off from a standing start. Not where I want to start the engine by rolling down-hill. Another misinterpretation between the Aussies and the Americans.

Old 08-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

okay...

would the car be facing downhill or uphill?

Old 08-25-2005, 12:08 PM

Are you serious? Did you just start driving yesterday after falling off of a turnip truck?

Old 08-25-2005, 01:31 PM

What does it matter uphill, or downhill?
I understand, that the slope is so big, that the car roll into opposite direction? Automatic transmission is always giving you some push, so on small slopes, my cars are standing still with no brakes applied.
You have a parking brake release on dashboard somewhere? So when you want to start, apply some gas to rev the engine to the speed, that will keep the car at least still and then pull the releasing level. One finger operation. Once the brake is released, you can accelerate more.
The other technique I am using on my manual flatbed is tip & toe. Keeping tip of right foot on the brake, I am pushing gas with the toe, having left foot on the clutch. Parking on slopes with big turning radius require several maneuvers and this is the only good way.
Have seen other people in automatics using right foot for gas and left for brake, but this habit might lead to lot of potential risk in the future.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Have seen other people in automatics using right foot for gas and left for brake, but this habit might lead to lot of potential risk in the future.
i have been riding with a driver doing this way and on mountainous terrain for two hours. i really got dizzy. i wonder how they pass the driving test.

anyway, bowlswhite is talking about automatic transmission. since he only got 4 cylinder engine, he's somewhat worried about jack and jill.

Quick Reply: Hill start