Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Help with the purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Default Help with the purchase

hey guys...
dont own a MB yet, and never have...so if i could ask for some help.
i have bought vehicles that had problems and never found out about them until i had to pay for the repairs, so i thought i would try this.

im looking to purchase a 1997 C230. it has all power options, leather interior and the kompressor(?) motor with 109k. is there anything that is a common problem with them, any expensive fixes, or anything i should look at/for before this purchase. also how are they in the snow...i know they are rear wheel drive, but i live in NEPA where we get some snow. would i have to park it and drive the wife's suv or is it ok? i appreciate any and all info and i hope to be a member of this forum with a purchase.
thanks again...
chris

Old 10-14-2009, 06:23 PM

Chris>as you probably already know, anytime you buy a car that old with higher mileage, you risk getting something with a problem here and there. The only way to do anything beforehand is to have somebody knowledgeable like a MB mechanic take a look first before you buy. These cars may or may not have problems. I say that because I have an '05 C230K with 166,500K on it now. I have had a supercharger go on it at around 65,000K, the alternator went, a bunch of electrical stuff went, the CD changer went, etc. and these cars are not cheap to repair. A fuel pump went on it around 100K but on the other hand, you might not have anything at all happen after you buy it, so it's really hard to predict these things. With excellent maintenance, mine has been pretty good. I change the oil, filters, tranny fluid (CRITICAL) and it's filter, fuel filters, etc. all myself. It's been pretty much tires and brakes since it turned 100K. I'm going to 200K hopefully without any major problems.
It also depends on how well the person who had the car before you took care of it. Right?
So, too many variables to predict what any particular car will do once it gets some miles on it, but......are you feelin' lucky??? As far as going in the snow, we don't have snow here in Phoenix, so I can't tell you. It might be a little slippery in the snow, but maybe somebody in snow country can chime in and give you a better idea. Good luck and hope to see you back here with a car!