Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heat related starting problem in 2005 C230K ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Exclamation heat related starting problem in 2005 C230K ??

Hey. This is my first post and I am hoping for some insight into a strange problem that has arisen this summer. I will try my best to describe it. It has occurred twice within the past month and is a huge p.i.t.a. as it leaves me stranded and has required atleast one tow off of a highway.

it starts with the alarm going off when i press lock on the smartkey to lock my car. The alarm will not go off, despite trying either button on the smartkey or placing the key in the ignition. Once the alarm stops, the engine immobilizer appears to be "on" as the car will attempt to turn over but will not start.

Additionally, none of the buttons on the smartkey work when my car is having one of these attacks (i.e. the car will not unlock or lock and the trunk will not open)

After I return to get my car after a couple of hours however, things are back to normal: All of the smartkey buttons work, the car starts and runs perfectly.

important variables:
1. This has happened on two very hot days this summer
2. I replaced the batteries in both of my smartkeys and both do not work when my car is behaving like this.
3. The second time this occurred, my car actually shut completely off while i was going 65 on an expressway in town. It would not restart and was towed back to my house. The alarm had gone off earlier that day in the manner described above, but my car did restart after a couple of atttempts. After it sat overnight, it resumed normal operation and has worked perfectly since.

What is going on? Anybody else have this problem? I'm dreading the next time this happens.......

Any and all help, insight, etc. is greatly appreciated as i love my car. Unfortunately it is out of warranty and i did not get the extended warranty
To that end, anybody know a good mechanic in Tulsa, OK?

Thanks and sorry for the long post....

redladder

2005 C230K - about 40000 miles

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 08-08-2009 at 03:15 PM.