Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Headliner Repair Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 04:13 PM
Default Headliner Repair Help

Hello. I'm just getting around to repairing the sagging headliner on my 96 C220. I've scoured the web for instructions and videos but found nothing detailed enough. From what I gather, it is not necessary to remove the A, B or C pillars on a C220 but it is for a C230/C240.
Also, again it is my understanding that the headliner board can removed thru the front door without removing the seats?

Has anyone done this or can point me to some good instructions please. Thanks so much.

Old 08-10-2020, 06:51 PM

Got the headliner work done. Not as bad as I thought. Here's what I did:
  • Only loosened A.B C pillar trims. Not removed. Except for A bc when you loosen it you are pretty much removing it.
  • Old foam/adhesive very messy.
  • Was able to maneuver the headliner board thru the front passenger door. Had to recline both front seats and put shift lever all the way to D4.
  • Best way to remove old foam/adhesive from board is to wash board with soap and water and scrub with stiff brush. Then rinse.
  • (I tried Goo Gone first. It was ok but it just kinda ate the foam). DO NOT USE A METAL SCRAPER!! THE BOARD IS A THIN FIBERGLASS AND BRITTLE. YOU WILL EASILY GO THRU IT IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL. SO DON'T BOTHER)
  • Next is to apply the new headliner material. I'll do that tomorrow after the board is fully dry.
Following day:
Just got the headliner replacement done. Went pretty well overall. Most tine consuming part is the gluing of the new material to the board. You have to carefully do it. I initially got the spray adhesive from JoAnn Fabrics where I also got the headliner material. They sell the DAP brand. Do not use this adhesive. I used the entire can and it just got absorbed by the board. Good thing it dried hard. The next day I went to home Depot and got the 3M #90 Heavy Duty adhesive. Thats the one to use. Just follow instructions.

I do have one problem - wiring related. Sorry Khomer2. There's one wire that appeared that I do not recall seeing before. Best I could tell its coming out of the sunroof area. Just 2 terminal holes but terminal connector is wrapped in black foam. Like it goes to some opening that needed that foam. See pic. All other wires going to the dome light console are accounted for. And I do not see a part number. I'm hoping you can help me figure it out. I'm thinking it connects to something above the headliner.