Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Gas Mileage - TERRIBLE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Default Gas Mileage - TERRIBLE!

I leased a new 2006 C230 Mercedes in January of this year. I love everything about the car EXCEPT THE MILEAGE! My average is 13.5 miles to the gallon (city). I've taken into the dealer (Beverly Hills) where they tested it and "tweeked" some of the timing. Once again, the latest and greatest test indicates that there's no change. Still 13 to 14 miles to the gallon. I'm VERY frustrated. Has anyone else experienced horrible mileage on this car?

Old 10-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Default RE: Gas Mileage - TERRIBLE!

That's pretty bad! I can understand your frustration. You have a 2.5 litre engine which should be getting over 20mpg city.
(My '99 2.8 litre consistently gets slightly over 22mpg city)
I've read in this forum when gas mileage drops dramatically, suspect the MAF sensor. If the sensor isn't working correctly, the fuel mix will run rich (too much gas). If that is the case, the tail pipe should have a black carbon build up too. I'd say that mpg isn't close to being acceptable and the dealer needs to correct thte situation. At 14 mpg, you are 33 1/3 % below what Mercedes claims the car should get around town.
Good luck.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:46 PM

I have the same problem the best millage i can get of my 2.3 c230 is 25milies

Old 10-11-2006, 01:36 PM

MBGT: What do you mean you have the same problem? You're getting 25 mpg! I'm getting 13! Not exactly the same thing.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:51 PM

I got a 2006 C230 loaner and averaged 21 mpg with very aggressive city driving mixed with 150 miles of hwy one weekend.
My 2001 C240 gets slightly better, around 21.5 mpg with about 75% hwy driving over 3000 miles.
What's your average speed from the same computer reading for 14 mpg?

Unlikely other reasons to check:
Are you using premium gas? Regular gets fewer mpg.
Do you have something very heavy in the trunc that you're lugging around all the time?
Is tire pressure too low? If it's too low, it will reduce mpg. saw a 2mpg increase with slighly 5 more PSI higher pressure up front than recommended over a 1700 mi trip.
Also, the shifttronic could easily slip into 4th or 3rd gear with a simple tap while reaching for your drink or if your passenger touches it from their side. A higher RPMs could translate into bad mpg.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:02 PM

How heavy is your foot?

My C230 (2006) with 4000k miles on it gets routinely about 23-24 MPG per tank
in a mix of street and some highway driving.

That being said, when my wife drives the car (with a heavier foot) I notice
when I hop in it that her mileage is regarly down aroung 17-18 MPG. This
is a huge difference due to her heavy footed driving style.

I am very light on the throttle and watch the mileage all the time, that
is how I can keep it up in the mid to high 20's. I bet if I just drove it
without watching my foot, I might get only 20-21 MPG.

Traffic is a bear in Beverly Hills if you are sitting in traffic all the time. It
also get poor mileage before it is warm. If you have alot of short commutes
in heavy traffic you mileage will stink.

Have you had a chance to get on the Freeway early on a weekend morning
and go on a 50 mile drive at 70 mph? That should yield about 27 MPG if you
keep it in 7th gear.

Give it a try and report back.

-Eric

Old 10-11-2006, 09:18 PM

Thanks everyone! Geez - I feel like I've got some great friends out there!
I have an automatic, so the shifting isn't the reason for stinky mileage. I don't have a heavy foot when driving. I just got it back a couple of weeks ago from the dealer (after bringing it in again for this problem), and I'm assuming they checked the tire pressure. But even if that was the problem, and it reduced it from 15 to 13 mpg, it's still stinky mileage! My trunk is empty (I'm a neat-nik) so I'm not schlepping any extra baggage. And I ALWAYS use premium gas. My dealer is in Beverly Hills; I don't live there but do live nearby. My commute is about 4 miles from home and yes - in mostly stop and go traffic.

All of this being said - nothing seems to justify 13 to 14 mpg! It looks like I'll have to bring it back into the dealer, and just insist that something is wrong with the car; and that I need them to fix it!!

Right? Thanks all.....

Val

Old 10-11-2006, 10:14 PM

Val,
Sorry for coming down heavy on your heavy foot!

You are correct that your mileage stinks. Take it in and
demand a loaner C230 and see how it does? That sounds
fair.

-Eric

Old 10-11-2006, 11:38 PM

i ment the same problem becouse that the best millage a can get (hwy) my averaged gas millage is 18 i belive thats to much for a 4 cyl

Old 10-12-2006, 01:38 PM

ERIC,
Thanks for the joke! Another funny Benz person! I will definately contact my dealer and see about getting a C230 loaner. I'll keep you posted for sure.
Where do you live? East/west/central U.S.?

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage - TERRIBLE!