Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Flight Number C280 - Nonstop to Slicktown

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Default Flight Number C280 - Nonstop to Slicktown

Frick's freakin sake. I am NOT at all happy at this moment.

On my way to check out a potential new house, I was taking some back roads on which I had never driven before. The speed limit was 40mph - I was doing about 40-45 and I came up to a one-lane bridge. There was no warning sign, only a "one lane bridge" sign with an advisory speed of 25mph. Since I could clearly see that there was no one coming the other direction, I did not slow down to cross the bridge. I figured the 25mph warning was because other cars might approach the bridge. Big mistake.

What I thought was a bridge was actually a launchpad that would have made Evil Knievel cringe. At the last second (which I will call "V2"), I realized the situation but it was too late. The next sensation I felt was "nothing below you" feeling you get right when an airplane lifts off. There was no road beneath any of my tires.

I actually recall thinking (in mid-air)... "Holy crap, I'm airborne!" The sound of gravity flexing its muscles seriously must have woke the dead! The crashing/metal scraping/road gouging was deafening and my soda, previously riding contently in my cupholder, now exploded all over me, the dash, and the console. It was right about that time that my daughter in the back seat woke up and said, "Daddy?!?!?" which is 2-year-old for "GEEEZ DAD THIS CAR ISNT MEANT FOR THAT!!!"

So anyway, I pull over and get out to check out the damage. Oil is running out like crazy and my bumper is halfway hanging off. The impact ripped through the plastic oil pan protector (HA!) and ripped open the oil pan. The bumper has mad scrapage underneath and isn't sitting quite right. That's the only visible damage (as if that's not bad enough). I paced out the distance from the top of the launchpad to the landing point and it was about 30 feet. Insane.

Yeah so anyway, the neighbors who heard the whole thing came out and told me about all these cars that have crashed as a result of that stupid bridge and the township has done nothing. You'd better believe that they are going to get a threatening letter from me and a copy of the bill. It probably won't matter, but it's worth a shot. While we were waiting for the tow truck, a Kia SUV got air over the same bridge and came screeching to a stop all shaken up.

Has anyone ever had to replace their oil pan? (2000 C280). How much is it? What other things should I be concerned about? Obviously the front suspension, but anything else?

Friggin sucks. At least no one was hurt and my 18" AMG rims hadn't gotten here yet, so that was good. So the lesson is, what out for ramps.... Mercedes don't handle them too well.

FYI, go slow on Kutztown Road in East Greenville, PA if you have a C280.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Flight Number C280 - Nonstop to Slicktown

i hope you have savoured well that 30 feet distance of flying excitement. i have been looking forward all my life to experience it.

replace the undershield protection with metal type, and not plastic.

was the oil pan or oil sump in two parts or only one? there are two kinds.

one kind is that the oil pan is separate from the oil sump, while the other kind, they are in one piece.

replacing the separate oil pan is something that you can do yourself easily. i hope the oil pump suction tube is not broken.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:49 PM

I'm sick just reading of the accident!!! You haven't owned the car that long, right? For some reason, that makes it worse.
Hopefully the only damage done was that which one can see. Yea, I'd think about sueing the town especially if nearby neighbors have seen this happen before. Perhaps the town has record of previous complaints you can get a hold of. If so, that should work to your advantage in court.

Bottom line in these situations- everyone is safe.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:31 PM

UPDATE: Well, good news and bad. The best news is that there wasn't any other damage done besides the oil pan and bumper (the things I knew about). The bad news is that it still cost me $561.00 to get it fixed.

You better believe the township is getting a copy of that bill and some legal threats!!!

Old 08-04-2006, 02:57 AM

Sorry about your damage. Bad luck and irresponsible township.
I once owned a 78 300D (in 1979) and was travelling in the curb lane on a two lane road in heavy rain beside a transport truck. With no signs and no warning of any kind the curb lane abruptly ended. I hit the curb at about 30 mph and cleared it. Next I hit the ends of railway ties, and ended up with the passenger wheels running along the railway ties between the rails, the rail was under the centre of the car (lengthwise) and the drivers wheels were bouncing off the outer ends of the ties. The car was severely shaken and battered before I could get the car to a stop. I immediately turned the engine off and got out in the rain to survey the damage. The trucker had seen the sparks and heard the noise and pulled over to assist. He came back with a flashlight and together we checked the underbody. The car was balanced on the oil pan but there seemed to be no damage or oil leak. He waited while I drove gingerly about 10' to a built up section and got off the tracks. Everything was working and there were no warning indicators so I slowly drove home.
Amazingly enough, the car had zero aftereffects but always took a little less oil due to the permanent crease and dent the length of the oil pan. I guess they don't make them like that anymore.
Glas you were able to get it fixed without more permanent damage to you, your passengers or your car.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:24 AM

Damn solid car that survives a launch and 30 foot drop and damage is under $600... Good luck with the township but kiss the ground and car that everyone in the car walked away with presumably no injuries.