Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Euro spec glass headlight lenses

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 01:13 PM
Default Euro spec glass headlight lenses

I have a chance to buy Euro spec lenses for my C28O US spec. for $79us Hella brand, including shipping. First will they fit the headlights on a US spec car? I know they are not legal, but I use 3M headlight protectors so I think I can get them thru inspection. Also, are the worth the money, I am told the beam pattern is much better with Euro lenses. They are for hologen bulbs also, which I have.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 12-21-2005, 03:33 PM
Default RE: Euro spec glass headlight lenses

Which state inspector checks your headlights?

Also, what is 3M protector and why would it fool the inspection?

You worry too much coz your conscience is not clean. If you have to go through annual inspection, I don't think you will have trouble, as long as you don't become nervous.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:56 PM

Mass inspection stations do, the 3M is the thicker plasitc flim to prtect headlights, for road damage, I have them on my composite lenses now. You can order the material either precut or cut to fit from a dozen suppliers. Good investment.

Beside your rude remarks, my question also asked if Euro spec lenses would make a difference vision wise? or are they the same pattern but glass. I would think glass is a better medium for lenses, instead fo composite plastic.

Old 12-22-2005, 12:28 AM

You say they're illegal. Why?

Don't they just check for headlight aim during inspection? They don't check the brightness with a light meter, do they?

I also wonder why the 3M film would help pass the inspection. Is the film tinted? In states I've lived in recently, tinted headlight covers are illegal when the headlights are turned on, like at night.

When new, both plastic and glass lenses are equally good. The plastic will fog over eventually and diffuse more light, but they can be polished to restore them. Plastic resists chipping, cracking, breaking, and shattering. It's a lot lighter than glass. It's also cheaper.

There are some good optics nowadays that are made from specialty plastics. My prescription glasses have had plastic lenses for over 30 years. Today's plastics are a fine medium for light.

I'm at a loss as to the advantage of these lenses. You say the beam pattern is "much better." "Much better" how? You have low-beams, high-beams, and fog lights now. What else do you need as far as a beam pattern?

Old 12-22-2005, 12:52 AM

C280, you called me RUDE? No where had I been intended to be rude.

I refused to believe that your state inspector is going to check your headlight. So did Lug.

I still do NOT think any motor inspector would check.

Cops write tickets to kids with weird lights that clearly do not belong to the car. You know, ground effects, washer sprays that light up, and all that crap. Headlight assembly with Euro specs? Pleeeeeeeeeease! You worry too much.

btw, you call me rude again, I'll fail your inspection.