Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Dash Disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Default Dash Disassembly

I have a clicking noise coming from my dash. I think it is the plastic piece that controls the vents. I've read about how to replace them from another posting on this forum. I have the WIS on my computer and it says that you should unhook the battery to disassemble the dash in order to replace the plastic piece. The process for disconnecting the battery includes instructions for attaching a current retention device. I assume this prevents the components of the car from losing their programming. First, do I really need to unhook the battery? The only electrial component I will be unhooking will be the radio. If I do need to unhook the battery, what will happen? Will I need to have eveything reprogrammed at MB?

Thanks,

Old 04-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Dash Disassembly

removing the battery and attaching current retention device sounds like oxymoron to me.

i'd say: leave the battery alone.

if you do remove the battery, no need to take it to the dealer. you just do self initialization on windows, sunroof, seat, steering, and have the radio code ready just in case the radio code is activated.

you can also do self synchronization on the a/c stepper motor should it behave differently.

Old 04-16-2006, 01:39 PM

I hear ya on the Oxymoron thing but that is what it says, honestly. Just a few more questions if one of you could help me out. First, I bought the software (WIS) and it works fine but you mention actually programming the car. How do you go about doing that? Actually one problem I do have, i think the WIS software is for the wrong regoin becuase it won't let me input my VIN. It says there was an error generating a european vehicle ident number. I guess that is what I get for buying something off ebay...

I read another post on here that there is a way to fix that by using a different set of numbers for the first portion of the VIN. If anyone has info on that, I would appreciate it. (2002 C320)

Okay, as far as the stepper motor. The sound it coming from the right hand side of the center console so I assume it is the right hand stepper motor assemby.
1. Is there any way to tell if it is just the plastic piece that is stripped or if the actual stepper motor is bad?
2. Where do you get the parts for this? Can you just go to the dealer or can you get them online?

Thanks

Old 04-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

your first 6 digits could be 203.064. not unless you tell me the whole vin so i can confirm it.

if you hear something clicking, then it means the stepper motor is working and not defective. i don't think you can energize the plastic rod and it can move by the current.

get it from the dealer or online doesn't make much different for it's just a small part. whichever is convenient for you.