Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 01:43 AM
Default Cracked Windshield

Got a crack in the windshield and seems to be lengthening.

Anyone have experience with replacing whindshields? Should I go through like http://giantglass.com/giantglass or other national chain? Or MB dealership? Giant will be more convenient for me, since I don't have to make appointments and they come to my home or work to replace it.

My windshield has a little MB logo on the bottom left, I don't a generic windshield.... []
hahaha

Also, is it true that everything will be covered by insurance?

thanks.

Old 11-24-2005, 05:17 PM
Default RE: Cracked Windshield

Hi from the UK,
I had a crack in the windshield of my SLK and I took it to the local national chain (Autoglass) branch. They put an apprentice on the job and he damaged the interior screen trim and chipped paint off the corner of the bonnet (hood in your case). They said that they would repair the leather trim and do the paint job. Oh no! I insisted that they replace the trim with a MB part and I get a MB recognised respray of the bonnet, which they paid for. It did end in my favour as the respray was unnoticeable and I got the paint chips covered.

In other words watch while they do the work.

Brian

Old 11-24-2005, 08:17 PM

My neighbor had a crack in her 04 ML, of course the insurance company sent her to their windshield shop, as windshield are a no fault and you pay nothing for a new one. After that shop tried to replace it twice, both cracked on installation, The insurnace company relented and let her go to Mercedes for a new windshield, which lasted a weeka got a "stress crack" Now windshield number 4, which has lasted 4 months. The insurance company refused to pay for the second MB installed windshield until she called her lawyer. MB said it was the design of the ML roof?????? That cause the stress crack.

Old 11-24-2005, 09:06 PM

That does not sound fun. haha

So what do you suggest I do?
I do NOT want to spend a week to get a windshield fixed. Then again Giant glass comes and replaces it in 45min.... but I'm hoping it would not be like the equivalent of a fast food joint.

Old 11-24-2005, 09:13 PM

The incident I wrote of could have been isolated, but I would insist to your insurance company that the windshield be replaced at Mercedes with geniune Mercedes parts. These cars have very soft glass and also according to what modeil you have electronic wire in them. I forget to mention, the aftermarket ones that were installed in my neighbor's did not have the wiring either.