Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering 2006 C230

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Default Considering 2006 C230

Hi all, first post here and I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm considering a 2006 C230 with the new 7 speed auto transmission for my wife. I was reading some user reviews on Yahoo's auto section and two people mentioned a hesitation upon acceleration. I haven't driven the car yet, just some internet research, but does anyone know anything about this hesitation?

Here are the two reviews: User 1 and User 2

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Default RE: Considering 2006 C230

Stop considering and BUY!!!!! I just got a silver/ loaded '06 C230 with the V6 and I love it. First of all, this is not a race car. Buy an AMG for unsurpassed speed and acceleration. The new C230 does have some kick. It has great passing gears where it throws your head back in 3rd and 4th gear. The delay only comes when you step on the pedal really hard in AUTO mode. Don't step too hard and fast! When you are using tiptronic you can start in 1st and gradually push the pedal instead of slamming and you'll feel some pull. For being a 1st time mercedes owner myself, I can't say that I would want any other car. IT'S A BENZ??? YOU'RE DRIVING A BENZ AND YOUR FRIENDS ARE NOT!!!!!!

Old 11-11-2005, 03:45 AM

whoa! stop! consider a BMW 330ci before you drop the dough on a new benz! Mercedes merged with Daimler-Chrysler and ever since, I trust them about as far as I can throw em. If you look at any auto mag, the new beamer rates higher than the benz and thats just because they haven't merged, like jaguar with ford. Do you really want a fine german automobile, or do you want a neon?

Old 11-11-2005, 04:49 AM

330Ci is out of fashion. Soon it will go through a face change.

Old 11-12-2005, 03:41 AM

Do you really want a fine german automobile, or do you want a neon?
That's an absurd statement. With very little exception all the technologie is going from Mercedes to Chrysler, not the other way round.
The Chrysler 300 is Motor Trend Magazines "Car of the Year". Suspensioin elements on that car are Mercedes.

Stop scaring the guy about the C230. The new C230 Sprort is a fantastic car. With a starting price of 29K, I take it over a BMW 325.

Old 11-13-2005, 10:38 AM

I drove a 2006 yesterday because I too thoght about one for my wife. It drives fine with a nice tight feel to the steering. Acceleration was good with no hesitation. Now the bad stuff. For the same $$$ I can have a IS 330 Lexus with navigation and more features in the interior. I have always driven a GS 300 since 1997, except for the year 2002, when I purchased a SLK 320 for my wife. It was a fun car but it went to the shop 8 times in 10 months for different electronic problems and the trunk lid would not close . Kind of put a bad taste in my mouth. Several of my friends had Mercedes and all have went to Lexus because of electronic problems. I'm not bashing Mercedes and still cconsider one.

Old 12-10-2005, 03:48 PM

Thanks guys. Between this and agn105's thread (here) we picked up a 2006 C230 in alabaster white and black interior a couple days ago. The wife wanted NO options other than an auto tranny. And by just dumb luck, there was actually one just about to enter the port and we didn't have to order one. We contacted out credit uniton and in a week, it was at our door.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:57 PM

***** - please give us an update on your and your wifes impressions after driving it a while!!!!

I too am looking at an 06 C230 for my wife. 7spd auto also.

We're looking for something to commute 55miles/day back-forth to work on the HOV lane that is reliable/comfortable/and get's 30mpg... walah..... C230.

Please advise with impressions

Cheers,
Jeff

Old 07-26-2006, 12:48 AM

Hey Jeff, I took too long to write the reply, it got lost... I'll try again.

My wife's completely happy with it. She likes the way she fits in it, the size of the car, the ride, the way it drives, etc.

Me, on the other hand, have a couple things I don't like too much about it. First, the "off the line" acceleration is erratic. The adaptive tranny isn't always the way I want it to be. Sometimes it's fairly quick, other times, it feels like it bogs down before taking off. If I shift it manually, it's actually quite good in 2nd - 7th gear, but not as good as a true manual. Highway economy is only about 26-27 mpg driving 80 mph. In town, if I drive like a granny, I get around 17 mpg. If I drive it the way I want to, it's about 13-14 mpg. For a 2.5 liter engine, it's not very economical.

The good thing is that once it is moving, it's got great torque. 60-80 mph seems to take no time at all. It has a nice smooth ride, yet great handling. Not sure how they engineered that, but I was impressed. The sport seats provide decent support. Manuverability in small spaces is great. I don't know what the turning radius is, but it feels very small. Easily make a U-turn in less than three lanes' space. Only car better that I've driven is my Mini. If this car was a manual, I seriously think it would be a great car for myself.

Bottom line, the wife's really happy with it.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:41 AM

We bought a 2006 230 Sport exactly 4 months ago. So far we really like it. My gripe is like the last post. It has a weird takeoff and does tend to bog or give the feeling of that. I don't like that at all. Other than that, we love it. No problems so far except the console lid popped off when my wife and her friend were messing with it. The dealer popped it back on in 30 seconds and after messing with it myself for 30 mintues, I made the drive to them. Gas mileage. Well my low has been right at 19 and I have clocked it 3 times in all city driving and I mean stop and start and we got a little over 21 each time. The computer shows each day that we hit about 24 or better but the average is lower in the end. I can't complain too much. On a trip we took, the computer showed we were getting right at 28 or a little more and it was about a 45 mile trip so short. So that is all I can gauge.

I forgot. One more gripe. We were told the 2006 came with the bluetooth pre-wire, and you see the steering wheel controls and the keypad on the dash. They say a puck plugs into the top of the console and showed me and said then you are set. Well, I called the company mercedes gave me which is wireless4mb.com. They told me it is misleading that our systems are pre-wired and you actually need some finish wiring before you can plug in the bluetooth puck. I asked how much was it and they said you have to go to the dealer for that, we don't sell it. THe guys aid he has heard though it is around 900.00. So I am supposed to spend 900.00 plus another 350.00 for the bluetooth puck to go in the console just so I can use it handsfree? You have to be kidding me! That made me mad. I agree that Acura comes with it standard and the thing is great. Why not Mercedes which is supposed to be this prestigious brand? Really the cars come pretty bare for the cost. We got the sunroof package and the heated seats and cd changer is all. That was about all we needed but not having full electric seats or even memory seats standard was a surpise. That is another package. It is a great little car for my wife to drive back and forth to work though and perfect for what she needs. Me? Nah, I expect a little more. I drive a Nissan Armada now and am going to upgrade it a bit in a couple of years. I have gotten spoiled to its comfort, although it was a major problem vehicle itself until I got the bugs worked out (hopefully) and I prefer driving it over the Mercedes. She loves it and that is the reason we got it and that is all that matters. She would own another one for sure and is probably hooked for life on Mercedes.

One last thing. It always surprises me on these forums when people post about toyota/lexus being this great prestigious ride. Man it is a glorified Toyota! Great cars, probably, but won't handle or drive like the German cars and never will. I looked at Acura but my wife insisted on no Japanese cars. It was for her so that was ok. The acura TSX and TL surprised me how loaded they were but were nothing special to drive. Just another Japanese car. Dependable I am sure but no thrill to drive. I do love that top of the line Acura, can't think of the name but man was it a great looking car! Now on to Infinity. Why the draw? Isn't it just a Nissan? My Armada has the clone that is Infinity and besides different trim, the vehicle is about the same for a few thousand dollars more. Different taililights, grill, etc. I can't see it. If a brand has a low end like Toyota, I would prefer a company that concentrates on a certain line of cars like Mercedes or BMW. No low end lines. Toyota cars are really crappy drivers but that is what they are designed for except for a premium price. Anyway, that is my 3 cents worth and more.

Quick Reply: Considering 2006 C230