Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Cold engine = Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Default Cold engine = Rough Idle

After cranking my 2003 C-240 4-matic, it runs fine until first stop sign or light, then it starts idling slow and rough. I do nothing and a minute later, it idles up and smooths out. After the engine is warmed, I have no further problems, no codes ever show even when checked with appropriate scanner.

Any ideas new friends?
Thanking you in advance,
Jim Todd
Gadsden, AL

Old 07-27-2012, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by JatMat
After cranking my 2003 C-240 4-matic, it runs fine until first stop sign or light, then it starts idling slow and rough. I do nothing and a minute later, it idles up and smooths out. After the engine is warmed, I have no further problems, no codes ever show even when checked with appropriate scanner.

Any ideas new friends?
Thanking you in advance,
Jim Todd
Gadsden, AL
its really hard to say but your probably gonna need fuel sending units soon. does it always happen? try diffrent octane gas or a diffrent gas station.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by chassis221
its really hard to say but your probably gonna need fuel sending units soon. does it always happen? try diffrent octane gas or a diffrent gas station.

It would be hard for me to be certain, sometimes the lights when engine is cold are green and it gets to warm up first. I can not ever recall it happening with the engine warm. I ran two tanks with Red Line thru the fuel, thinking injectors may have been dirty, but that had no effect. Fuel sending units, is that something a semi intelligent person can replace or should I head to the shop, sure do not want to be stranded somewhere, wife has serious health issues and we have to make emergency runs to ER 50 miles away at times. Thank you for your help and replies.
Jim