Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Cluster Messages Gone Wild!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Question Cluster Messages Gone Wild!!!

Have a 2001 c240. For several months now as I'm driving I get a series of error messages flashing in my instrument cluster. They include: ABS, ESP, errors as well as little indicator lights going on for ABS, Check Engine, and even my E Brake. These do not occur in any particular order and sometimes I don't get any errors for several hours. Then to mix it up even more, occasionally my cluster goes berserk and fuel gauge light goes on, temperature bar climbs up and down, speedometer goes nuts, ABS and Check Engine lights go on....for a minute or two and then, like in the Exorcist, everything goes back to normal.
Don't know where to start with this one, or is it that the instrument cluster itself is bad? If so, do I have to replace the cluster or is there a module that controls all this stuff that can be changed?

Old 03-07-2010, 06:12 PM

Wow that is nuts. Not sure really where to start but I would also test the battery and alternator to ensure that they are not doing funny things with the power supply to the computer/instrument cluster which could cause the electronics to freak out. Just an idea........

Old 03-07-2010, 07:50 PM

do you have power seats in your car? if you do, move some of the driver seat adjustments mostly the seat back, and see if the cluster still freaks out. there is on occasion the driver seat wireing harness gets chaffed threw and shorts out. but usually the cluster fuse blows.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestions...have new alternator installed and battery seems ok. Will try the seat suggestion.
Here's an update which is freaky but interesting. I had my oil changed a few days ago and ever since then the display craziness has significantly reduced...almost gone away. I'm wondering if in taking off and replacing the plastic shroud under the engine some sort of ground wire(s) or connection was improved. I drove two hundred miles this weekend and I only had the display go wild a couple of times (once after I went through the car wash). Any thoughts?