Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Clack clack clack

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Default Clack clack clack

I have a bad valve clacking, At least, it sounds like one. The car is an 82 td wagon with a 5 cyl. diesel. The previous owner put me in touch with her old mechanic, who assures me he set the valves and the clack clack is an injector, or something not a valve. He is known to be trustworthy.
I replaced the front 2 injectors ( the noise is definitely from one of the first two cylinders. ) with known good injectors, to no avail. Still goes clack clack clack, once every revolution.
I have heard this may be a "pre"combustion chamber issue, but I don't see how that can be, since I am told the pre-combustion chamber has no moving parts being just a , well, a chamber.
I am at a loss here, and, being sort of poor ( this is only a $1000 car, but a NICE old car ) I can't really afford to take it to my trusted friend mechanic, at $102 an hour, to have it diagnosed, so i am throwing this out there.
Many thanks for reading this.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:57 PM

Thank you. However, I am poor at the present time. That is why I asked for opinions here. When I get the spare $25 I will get it.