Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Chrome Tips on my C280

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Default Chrome Tips on my C280

Good Morning, Here are a couple of pics of chrome exhaust extensions I found for my 99 C280, at PeP Boys no less. They are made by 3A Racing. if you notice in the pix the right pipe is higher then the left. Both chrome pipes are the same size, diameter,
ccircumference etc. My son and I found out is. The C280 rear muffler pipes are offset, that is the right pipe from the muffler is about a quarter inch higher then the left. Both chrome pipes will slide up to the muffler body on th right side, neither will on the left side muffler pipe., the bend of the muffler pipes seems to be the same angle,but the high of the right side is the problem. The chrome pipes have adjustable U clamps, we fooled with them after 2 hours, this is the best we could do. Also, the right chrome pipe is off angle to the right, to get them straight they both would need to slide up to the muffler. I checked the parts book I have and it does show the rear muffler and the right pipe is slightly highe the the left, so was made thia way. They would look muich better is they both slide up to the back of the muffler as the pipe is angled correctly and all you would see is the end of the tip and about an inch of the chrome pipe.

Any ideas? I don't want to cut them as I did this on another homemade set and it they rusted within weeks. I called the manufactuer and they didn't have a clue what would work.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2546/D15C7D2F04AB47B296CE5CB0F4F2F497.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2546/EE5DB2BF561346708C732A6AD8BE90FF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Default RE: Chrome Tips on my C280

very nice looking Chrome Tips.

Old 08-13-2005, 04:38 PM

Thank You, I've been looking for tips that fit for 3 years, finally found them.

Old 08-13-2005, 10:36 PM

please make them a little more hidden under the car. and not so u can see where there mounted.
Maby take to exhaust shop and get them to put them up under the car a bit more so u can just see the tips.
Well thats just my view.

Old 08-13-2005, 10:54 PM

There is a problem with the C280 muffler that will not let any type of pipe go up further, trust me I've tried several different styles and none will slide up to the muffler except for the right side pipe. Both of the pipes shown are identical in diameter length. you can take either chrome pipe and mount it on the right tailpipe butted up to the muffler. But on the left side they will not slide up to the muffler. Why? if you take a close look at the C280 muffler the right side pipe is welded slightly higher and has less of a bend then the left pipe. I check this out with a parts book I have that has pics of the parts and you can see the difference. The diameter of the muffler pipes are the same, but the the mounting point and bend on the right pipe is different. Those chrome pipes have U clamps which can be adjusted around the pipe, even with that, with two people working on it this is as close as we got to a "even look". As I said I have tried several styles, the only way I got them even was to cut at a angle a cheap set of chrome pipe the length of the downward part of the muffler pipes. Which made them about 3 inches long on the top and about 1 1/2 long on the bottom, I drilled new holes for the screws. However they rusted out in a year. I did go to a custom muffler shop and they suggested sanding the top of the bend on the left side, but the metal is thin and they didn't want to do it without me signing a release, in case they sanded too much.

Old 09-18-2005, 02:45 PM

In my humble opinion, they look like a@#, your car is a MB not some pimped out ricer.

Old 09-18-2005, 07:03 PM

anyone can have an opinion, as this is America and we all have 1st amendment right of free speech and opinion. I kinda like it myself, but then that is my HO

Old 09-18-2005, 07:12 PM

Here is a picture on my chof one of my chrome pipes

[IMG]local://upfiles/2546/83FE654BC6F94CEC99E4CC4B98279BD1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-18-2005, 07:19 PM

... we all have... right of free speech...
Most people don't realize that this only applies to public and government places. It doesn't apply to private places. This forum is a private place, so no one here has a Constitutional right to free speech. The owner has a right to say anything they want, but it's not a Constitutional right. They also have the right to stop your speech, if they want.

Old 09-18-2005, 08:10 PM

The Supreme Court upheld in 2003 the rights of a individual to first amendment protection on any forums on the net, .com or .net2 whether private or public. A guy got fired for making an remark about his company on a private forum, no libel, just something about moving some people out and getting good people in, no names except the companies. He sued won, lost and finally the Supreme Court upheld the first amemdment right. This may be a private forum but anyone can open it and read the comments, but must be a member to post, so it is in the public domain in a way. the Internet is also the Alpha and Omega therefore is it open to anyone that has a computer. or for than matter a cell phone these days.

Quick Reply: Chrome Tips on my C280