Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 04:16 AM
Default Check engine light

Hi, im new to this forum so i would just like to greet all of you.

I just recently purchased a 2001 c240 and recently, the check engine light has been turning on and off. The dealer i purchased the car from claims that the gasoline type i put in is the car is making the sensor go off. I've been using Chevron Supreme, and they claim that it has something to do with the Techron(which im not to clear about) that makes it sensitive to the sensor. The car runs fine though.

My first question: Is there any validity to what they claim.
second question: Is there any other problem that may be causing the light to be coming on and off. Is it a big problem and should i be concerned.

I hope I was clear in my explanation and any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 09-23-2004, 06:01 AM
Default RE: Check engine light

I don't whether if your dealer's explanation was true or not.
But as for myself, I try to pour in Chevron Supreme (91 octane) whenever I can, and never experienced anything like it.
There was a problem with Shell gasolines a while back, which may damage the fuel sensor.
Is your vehicle still under warranty? you might want ot check with other dealers and let them inspect your car. Or you can call straiught to Mercedes USA.
Oh yeah....did you make sure the fuel cap was closed and tightened completely each time your opened it? If not, check engine light also comes on

Old 09-23-2004, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Check engine light

the dealer all over the world are told to say that "it is a fuel problem".

the threshold value was too low that even if we increase it on the control unit using computer, it still doesn't work.
injection time - from base value, we set it to stage 1 enrichment.
ignition - from base value, we set it to 93 RON
iregular running - from base value, we set it to +0.5 ms

yes, it is a fuel problem.

the engine control unit was designed to be too sensitive. this is the reason why they have modified it to take more time before the "check engine" light comes on.

remedy:
you need to replace the control unit with the modified version.
bleed the air from fuel rail by letting the gasoline flow out while the engine is running.