Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Car CD Player/Changer questions! Pls help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Default Car CD Player/Changer questions! Pls help

Hi - I am new to this forum having just purchased a 2002 C240. I love the car but I am having a problem getting some questions answered about installing CD/Changer.

My car has a Radio but no CD. It has a Mercedes radio and keypad (for phone?) and steering wheel controls. Now, I called Mercedes and no surprise, the Disc changer was $1,090! That was for the part (glove compartment is CD changer ready). After that price, I asked about getting a regular CD player installed and that was $1,000 for just the player and estimated 4 hours of labor!! I hung up quick :-)

I called a local Car Stereo place known for installing in high end vehicles and after taking my Car information I was informed that only Mercedes could install the CD players using only their parts because this car uses fiberoptics and their are no aftermarket stereos that comply/fit.

Okay, I am a girl and only care about getting CD player in my vehicle but find it hard to believe I have to pay over 1500 to put a CD player in my car. Please, can anyone help me to start looking at other options? Please, no need to say I shouldn't have purchased a Mercedes if I didn't expect to pay the high costs associated with it..... I do expect it, I just want options

My Concerns: Can installation places install so the steering wheel connects to CD player?

Can anyone help? I would greatly appreciate it. Janet

Old 01-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Car CD Player/Changer questions! Pls help

Disc changer was $1,090
this is correct

car uses fiberoptics
true

the steering wheel connects to CD player
it can't. it would be like an italian cd changer talking to the german radio. communication protocol is different.

Old 01-19-2006, 05:41 PM

i bought a 1998 c280...no fiber optic cable.....and still have to pay big bucks installing cd changer/ cd player ...

whats my best options?

tnx
R0ss

Old 01-19-2006, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

they do got aftermarket for that but better check if your radio got "CD" button on it.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:36 AM

You could try using an RF/FM moduleated CD changer. That way, you won't need any "special" hooking up, as they CD changer plays through the FM radio to a specific station, (like 88.9 fm for example). They are usually used for when you want to hook up a CD changer to a radio that does not accept and cables, like in older cars (pre-CD era). I used them in alot of cars and have been very satisfied. They cost about the same as other cd changers, and I think Best Buy, Circuit City, etc... can install them. Hope that helps!

Old 01-20-2006, 12:38 AM

Sorry for the horrfic spelling. I hit "ok" before spell checking.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:02 AM

I bought from a local audio shop a OEM Mercedes fiber optic CD changer for $450. Installation was $75.00. Never had a problem with the changer, but had to have the Radio replaced once, no warranty $1000 and that was with a 15% discount. The salesperson at the dealership sent me there to have get it. The name of the shop is LONG Audio in West Springfield, MA. There are two wires that plug into the back. The longest part of the job is mounting the bracket for the changer.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:25 AM

Yes it does have a "cd" button!

I wonder if I can add an aftermarket cd player {from Best Buy etc} right under the Radio/Cassette Player..
and have it all there?
Tnx
R0ss

Old 01-20-2006, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator

then you got D2B.

Omead's advice may apply.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:47 AM

If I do that i was thinking of a cd player NOT a cd changer?

Right under the cassette radio...

R0ss

Quick Reply: Car CD Player/Changer questions! Pls help