Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Can't take my key out

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Default Can't take my key out

Hello,
I have a 2002 C230, recently, I noticed that after I shut my engine of, I have difficulty pulling my car key out after I turn the key to position 0. Does this ever happen to any of you??? Any idea what's wrong???? It's so frustrating, since I have to restart the engine and then drive a little bit and try to park my car again and pull the key out. thx in advance.

j

Old 04-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Default RE: Can't take my key out

Hmm.. you shouldn't have to restart the car and drive around more to take the key out. What I have to do sometimes is turn the key back to Accessory position (for radio, lights, etc) and then quickly back to 0. If you pull the key the wrong way it doesn't come out either. Always pull straight out, don't apply force in any other direction.

I always enjoy watching my friends struggle with the key when they drive my car..

Old 04-04-2006, 03:56 PM

Hi Stevel,
I did try to turn the key back to position 1 and 2 ( I think total have 4 position, the 4th one is to start the engine), and no matter how I turn and switch back to position 0, it still won't come out. I can actually sense it when I turn it to position 0, it's not going all the way sometime, that's when I have trouble pulling my key out. =(
j

Old 04-04-2006, 04:41 PM

I turn the key to all the positions except the one that starts the engine. I'm not sure if its 3 or 4 total positions. Once in a rare while I need to turn the car on and off quickly to release, it's something with the infrared not recognizing the sensor inside the starter. Do not force it because it will ruin the key. Just try to a light firm grip and it should come out, maybe try putting the key in the other direction (upside down), this may make a difference?

Old 04-04-2006, 04:42 PM

Hey everyone..... I have had to happen to me on this car. You shouldnt have to restart the car.... Just make sure your foot is off the brake pedal... If your foot is on the brake pedal, it locks the key in place becasue it will think you are going to put it in gear. Try to make sure your foot is off the brake pedal!

Old 04-04-2006, 04:48 PM

Good point, forgot about this common sense tip!

Old 04-04-2006, 05:26 PM

my foot wasn't on the brake padel when I wasn't able to pull the key out. I just hope is not a mechanical problem, I am about to call the dealer and set up an appointment and have them to check it out.
And I am not too sure if I am being over sensitive or not, sometimes I feel like when I try to shift to the "P" gear, it doesn't really go all the way to the left, that's why I have difficulty pulling the key out. Can that be possible??? That's why I start the engine again and back my car a bit and pull up again and hope that this time, when I shift the gear back to "P", it will go all the way to the left, so that I can pull my key out. [&o]
j

Old 04-04-2006, 07:29 PM

this sounds stupid, but this has happened to me before... but it was only because i put the parking break on but forget to put the car in park :x. Sometimes ya just forget, luckily the car is smart enough to not let you leave the car in drive/reverse and let you take the key out. otherwise the next time ya fire up the engine, youd be immediately moving... if the parking break werent on. Maybe you are doing what i did a few times.

-trutaing

Old 04-05-2006, 01:28 AM

WD-40

Old 04-05-2006, 02:25 AM

I wouldn't spray or otherwise put WD-40 into a lock cylinder. It'll get gummed up because it will attract dirt. It's best to lubricate lock cylinders with graphite, or something semi-dry like wax.

Quick Reply: Can't take my key out