Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

C320 knocking under dash when started

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 01:10 AM
Exclamation C320 knocking under dash when started

When you first start the car, there is a knocking sound coming from under the dash on the right side of the steering column. There is about 8 knocks, then it goes away. When its started again there is the same knocking. Any ideas. Thanks. spymoto.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:47 PM

I have this! I'd like to know what it is as well. Mine never goes away. To me it's more of a tick than a knock. When I think of a knock I think of the sound a big Diesel farm truck makes when it's running. I do not believe it's the engine but I can hear it from outside the car when it's running. I read two things that it could be. I read it could be the fan or some component of the heating/cooling system that controls the air to your feet. Also,there was some other minor mecanical component but neither said it would cause anything to tear up or blow up the engine or anything like that. I just had it in the shop for something else and my mechanic drove it and complimented on how well the car drove and the great condition of the car. I do believe he would have heard the knocking and noticed it if it were something dangerous or defective.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:32 AM

I also have had the problem of what I call a "clicking" sound. I had it checked out and it was a problem with the heating/cooling system for the feet. there is a part that has a wheel with plastic teeth on it.....the noise that I was hearing is the sound of a flap being struck by the plastic teeth on the wheel. Sorry my description isn't more technical, but I hope this helps. My car will make the noise for the first 30 seconds after i crank it (not every time)...and sometimes while driving down the road it will do it erratically. Also, my car doesn't produce heat from the right-center vent to the passenger side. The mechanic told me that would probably happen if I didn't get the "clicking" noise fixed....but I wasn't able to come up with the money at the time.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by 1stMercBenz
I also have had the problem of what I call a "clicking" sound. I had it checked out and it was a problem with the heating/cooling system for the feet. there is a part that has a wheel with plastic teeth on it.....the noise that I was hearing is the sound of a flap being struck by the plastic teeth on the wheel. Sorry my description isn't more technical, but I hope this helps. My car will make the noise for the first 30 seconds after i crank it (not every time)...and sometimes while driving down the road it will do it erratically. Also, my car doesn't produce heat from the right-center vent to the passenger side. The mechanic told me that would probably happen if I didn't get the "clicking" noise fixed....but I wasn't able to come up with the money at the time.
Yeah that's what I think mine is. All of my vents blow out heat though.