Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

C320 Battery Flat 3 times

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 08:04 AM
Default C320 Battery Flat 3 times

Hi,

I got a C320 which was parked at an airport parking for 3 months. When I came back, I obviously had a flat battery. So i got a jump start and went home. The next day, my battery was still flat. I guessed it was dead as it was 2 yrs old and had not been charged for the past 3 months. So i called out Mercedes Benz and they replaced my battery.

After 2 days, my battery was flat again. So they took my car for recovery. When I told them about the jump start, they told me that a Mercedes is not to be jump started from another car. So I had to pay for the repairs of £3350. They replaced the COMAND, Overhead Unit & Door Control Module as mentioned in the invoice. They said all these components were draining some amount of power from my battery all the time as they were damaged as a result of the wrong jump start.

Then, I went for a European tour for 10 days and my car was in a good running all the time. So the battery did not go flat here. When I came back, the next day the same problem. So they took away my car again. Kept for 5 days. Now they found out some wiring fault was causing the battery drainage. They fixed it under warranty. I got back my car yesterday.

Today, The battery is again down. So I've called Mercedes recovery. But when I asked them what would happen as this is happening all the time, they are arrogantly replying that the technician would have to see what's wrong. Man, if they could not fix it twice in a service centre, what the hell is the technician going to do with is measly diagnosis kit?

Just wanted to know is there any replacement policy for the car if they cannot fix it for 'n' number of times?

Also, what could be the problem? And, is there anything called as a wrong jump start from another car?

All help is appreciated in advance.

Thnx
Terry
(UK)

Old 02-24-2005, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: C320 Battery Flat 3 times

you have just been robbed!!!!

of course you can always jump start from another car. it won't affect anything.

it's simpy acase of one components that drains the battery. for example, the seat adjustment control module, i change many of those because it continues to drain current after sleep mode.

Old 02-27-2005, 10:37 AM

Anyone knows about the replacement policy? I've heard that if Mercedes cannot fix a problem three times, they have to give you a new car in exchange of the old one?

Thnx
Terry

Old 03-02-2005, 12:09 PM

I think you are mixed up about replacement policy. I think you are referring to Lemon Laws which most states have. Here in Mass a car is considered a lemon if it has been back for repairs for the same problem more then three or four times. Then you can fill out a Lemon report and you might or might not get your money back, but not a new car. If Mercedes had such a policy they would have replaced about 50% of the cars sold in the past couple of years, and probably be bankrupt by now.

Old 03-02-2005, 12:23 PM

I'm staying in London, UK. Any policies that would force MB to replace my car? I'm not really interested in getting a new car, but sending the car for recovery, taking the hire car, returning it and keeping a followup with the MB guys is getting to be a pain in my ***.

Besides, i'm worried that I was robbed on the first recovery bcoz it seems like a Mercedes does not have the limitation of being jump started from another car. Anyway I can recover the huge some I've payed for it?

Thnx
Terry