Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

C280 valve-seat wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Default C280 valve-seat wear

Does anyone know of potential valve-seat wear problems on 1999 C280 V6 engines?
The reason I ask is I am thinking of having my car converted to run on liquid petroleum gar [LPG] . Before you think I am clinically insane here in England we are currently paying the equivilant of aprox $6.50 per us gallon for unleaded and less than half that for LPG.
The only drawback that I am aware of are possible problems if the basic engine design is prone to valve seat wear as LPG has no lead to lubricate the valves. My local installer has suggested such problems with BMW and Jaguar with this fuel.

Any comments would be gratefully received

thanks

Phil

Old 08-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Default RE: C280 valve-seat wear

We use unleaded gas in the US.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:44 AM

Lugnut is correct, so the valves, seats ect are strong, but it is my understanding that there might be other concerns in coverting a car to LPG. Have you research this with a reputable company that does this type of work. I Love Mercedes Enthusiast Magazine, from the UK, best Mercedes mag except for the MBCA STAR that is devoted to Mercedes Benz cars only!

Old 08-18-2005, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

valve-seat wear
maybe u mean valve guides?
valve seat needs no lubrication.

Old 08-18-2005, 12:45 PM

Yes valve guides, sorryas lugnut should say, here we go again. Sleepwalker did you get the private message I sent you? Any ideas?

Old 08-18-2005, 01:05 PM

I think the ECU needs some mods for the ignition timing and possibly reactions to output of the O2 sensors.

Old 08-18-2005, 01:22 PM

Converting your car is likely going to cost you several thousand dollars (pounds in your case), you need to calculate how much you would actually save each year based on current usage, and then consider how long you will keep the vehicle.

I'm not sure what the price of LPG is there at the moment but as a rough figure, assume that you will probably have half of your current fuel bill. If you are intending to sell the vehicle within a couple of years and won't actually break even within that time, then the answer is probably don't bother converting.

I know here in the USA it's a lot harder to find an LPG station then it is to find a gas station. Not sure if that's an issue where you are or not.

I know in Aussie LPG is at almost every gas station.

Another major downside to converting is the reduction of trunk space. (unless your conversion company has a plan for this)

The LPG tank has got to go somewhere.......... and it takes up a good chunk of space.

Hope this helps in your decision

Good luck with whatever you do with it.

Old 08-18-2005, 02:41 PM

I agree with everybody, especially with SL600. It is not practical to convert.

Here are a few reasons for which I would not convert my car from gasoline to LPG.

(1) The cost and the burden are just too much. Cost = Conversion cost and other modification damage done to the car. Burden = potential explosion of LPG tank in accident, etc.

(2) Unless I see a written statement from MB that says "it is absolutely ok to do such conversion, and there is absolutely no harm to the engine and other parts."

(3) It is more practical to limit your travel or cut down the expenses elsewhere.

Take my word: don't experiment with your car. It is a Benz, not a VW.

The way I see it is like this. You will convert your car the day you don't love it anymore. There is plenty of money out there, but there is not plenty of good 1999 C280 out there that you can find. So, save the money or save the car?

Old 08-19-2005, 04:29 AM

If you really want to mess with something, buy a veggie oil buring benz. That way your car stays in good shape.

A veggie benz is probably cheaper that doing the conversion to yours anyway.

$1,500 and you too can burn used McDonalds Grease.... LOL
http://www.greasecar.com/forum/read....106&thread=662

Old 08-19-2005, 05:24 PM

Thanks for all your comments
Lpg still looks very tempting - I usally keep cars for around 10 years and even allowing for the cost of conversion it would save me aprox 5000 GB or 9000 us if relative prices stay the same [ petrol will only go up and lpg is a by product of the refuing process and so has no production costs]
still it has to be said that even though the converion I am considering has been around for thirty years and is well considered a lot of the mods look a little too much like garden shed engineering for me and I also cannot find out much info relating to mercs and lpg.
like you say dont mess with perfection!
Still five thousand is a lot of money
To Convert or not to Convert -that is the question

Quick Reply: C280 valve-seat wear