Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

C240 takes long time to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 02:39 AM
Red face C240 takes long time to start

Hi,I have bought 2003 Mercedes C240 with 130,000 KM, and Sedan. It is my first experience with Mercedes , feels so good driving Mercedes but I have got few problems and I need your help, I am getting system too lean bank 1 , system too lean bank 2 error, I put new wires and spark plugs, I took off MAF Sensor and I washed and clean it with MAF Sensor Cleaner, but some times when I am driving I feel the car loose power, some times knocking noise from engine, and hard to start the car every morning ,
Also the gas gauge does not show correctly , it was showing 1/4 instead of showing empty, and I did not know it, It put me in problem and I ran out the gas in middle of highway , I did few research and spent $, I am wondering is this fuel pump or fuel filter or MAF sensor problem or any thing else,
I am not mechanic , please let me know if you know or suggest any thing,
Your help really appreciate,

Last edited by houshang.karami@gmail.com; 05-14-2016 at 02:44 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:06 AM

Maybe a problem with CPS? I think this is a common problem with all Benzes.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:36 PM

Thank you for your reply, but there is no code for CPS,
what I know "system too lean" that means too much air or too little gas,
If I drive car slowly there is no problem , but when I am accelerating the car, engine is hesitating to go, even I was thinking may be is transmission problem.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by houshang.karami@gmail.com
Hi,I have bought 2003 Mercedes C240 with 130,000 KM, and Sedan. It is my first experience with Mercedes , feels so good driving Mercedes but I have got few problems and I need your help, I am getting system too lean bank 1 , system too lean bank 2 error, I put new wires and spark plugs, I took off MAF Sensor and I washed and clean it with MAF Sensor Cleaner, but some times when I am driving I feel the car loose power, some times knocking noise from engine, and hard to start the car every morning ,
Also the gas gauge does not show correctly , it was showing 1/4 instead of showing empty, and I did not know it, It put me in problem and I ran out the gas in middle of highway , I did few research and spent $, I am wondering is this fuel pump or fuel filter or MAF sensor problem or any thing else,
I am not mechanic , please let me know if you know or suggest any thing,
Your help really appreciate,
You could have a vacuum leak at some of the vacuum hoses, or possibly have leaky intake manofold gaskets. Cracked intake manifold is possible to. All of these are common.
Mass air flow is a possibility but you would normally find self adaptations codes. Make sure the engine cover is installed correctly on the engine and mass airflow sensor.
Extended cranking times at start up could be related to the vacuum leak. Could also be a faulty fuel pressure regulator which i think is part of the fuel filter under the car, but probably not causing the stalling out while driving problem.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:58 AM

No Problem, thank you for your reply,
Last week I ordered MAF sensor and then we replaced new one and we went to test drive
but problem was exists and then we tried the another new one which I have on my Car,When I replaced the new MAF Sensor I start the car but It took a time to start again , I went for test drive and nothing changed, Car was stalling again, I took the car for test drive again and I put the car in pressure and the car drove nice after 10 minutes driving in high RPM , right now I am thinking for fuel filter , May be that one is faulty because the car takes long time to start when the engine is cold,I have P0171 and P0174 error code on car, system is too lean, too much air or little gas, ...
I could not hear any vacuum noise from engine, It really costs for me to test it.