Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

C240 IS IT REALLY WORTH IT

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Default C240 IS IT REALLY WORTH IT

I have a choice between an 02 c240 or infinity g35 03... why would somebody pay for MB, yes i know the name thecomfort but is it really expensive in maintenance? The general question could a MB 2002 that have around 60 Milles be driving for 3 or 4 years without any unregular repairs, excluding(oil,brakes,tires) as common foreach vehicule. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

[/align]

Old 07-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: C240 IS IT REALLY WORTH IT

Well, when you buy a Mercedes, you had better like everything about it. I mean to say you had better like the color, the style, the number of doors etc. The cost of a Mercedes is the upfront, short-term cost of a car that can last the rest of your life. Honestly, people that trade their Mercedes in at 100k miles, are giving it away before they can get a return on their money. I'll give two examples:
I bought a 1990 190E. It was paid off in four years.Near 100k miles later, I had to replace the altenator.I borrowed money against it to buy a machine for mysmall shop. I paid that loan off in three years by 1997. At 175k miles, I had to repair the fuel injection. I drove the car for another three yearswithout a car payment or repair, until I bought the CLK. Today the car has 350,000 miles and still looks like it is one year old.So, do I regret paying more for the car initially?The car cost justifies itself in the long run, not the short run. But you have to keep it long-run. I couldn't sell this car now! I realized that the car was in the background of many of my family photos dating back to 1990! The beach, Florida, the mountians, ect. There it was in the background. It took us everywhere, over and over, and over again.
Now my 2000 CLK is approaching the big 200k miles with all my driving to work and school. It had some problems at 100k miles, and appears to be having less problems from 100k to 200k miles.
Of course there are things that will throw this plan off track. If you buy an abused neglected Mercedes, you will be overwhelmed with catch-up repairs. So get a good one from a caring owner, not one from a streetauction. Also learn about the car, and how to check the fluids. Maybe even learn how to do small repairs. The parts cost about the same as any other car, so some know-how can really make the car affordable. Make sure you get your favorite color, because once you pay it off,customize it, andput special wheels on it, you don't want to find yourself saying I should have waited for the blue one. Get an honest mechanic, one that knows when he needs help. Don't get a hacker; they'll ruin your car.
The altenative is to buy a throw-away car every four years.

Blue

Old 07-13-2007, 04:40 PM

Here are my comments.

I do not know if the G35 to C240 comparison is the way to go. I have a C230 Sport which is sportier than the Luxo C240 and more of a challenger to a goodG35.

(I want to preface the next set of statements with that fact that I think Nissan has made a few decent cars, particuarly the early 510's and the 240Z.)

How does it make you FEEL when you slip behind the wheel of the G35 and see that odd Inifinity emblem on the steering wheel?

I know when I hop in the C230 Sport and see the Silver Star that I have climbed into a car with considerable heritage. The same company that built the 300SL Gullwing and countless other great automobiles and competed at Le Mans, F1, etc. That gives me a sense of pride and accomplishment that is absent when I climb into an Infinity.

Sure it is a very competent car, and taken piece by piece is probably better than the C230 on paper. But it does not thrill me, and for $30k I want to be thrilled.

-Eric

Old 07-13-2007, 05:56 PM

This is a MB forum so people's opinions, like mine, may be biased toward liking MBs.

I bought my brand new 2001 C240 in Sept 2000, as soon as they came out. Before that, I had been test driving all kinds of cars for two years (G35, Acura TL, VW Passat, Maxima, etc), in search for a replacement for my very well maintained 93 Ford Probe GT, which had already lasted me 8 years and 150,000 miles. More than was expected of it considering the way I drove that car. I never liked any of the newer cars enough to buy it until the new C class came out.

My girlfriend at the time liked the Maxima a lot and thought I should buy it at $24K. I told her I wanted her to see one more car, the newly redesigned C240, before I decided which car to buy. We test drove the C240 and the C320. She said I should get the MB instead. I said it's $10,000 more for the C240 !!! (We did not feel that the C320 added much more to the car's feel, speed or luxury to justify an extra $7K. The MB is so quiet that the Bose, standard on the C320 was unnecessary).

I said:do you think it's worth $10K more? She was an accountant with a head on her shoulders and she knew dollars and cents, investing, stock markets, etc. She replied with the most empathic 'YEESSSSS' I had every heard her utter. I felt the same way.

I ordered the C240, paid the $1000 deposit and I was going to wait 4 months to get it, On may way out, the salesman ran to my car just before we left and told us that some lady had changed her mind about the color. It was the same color I had ordered. So I took that car home about an hour later, rather than 4 months later.

I've had the car just under7 years now and when I get behind the wheel, I get that same feeling every day: "It was worth it". I got a brand new loaner with 50 miles on it while I had a $1,000 repair at the local dealership last month. The loaner was a 2007 C230 with the new 2.5L V6. I asked my wife how she liked this new car. She replied: it feels the exact same way as yours, is it not the same. The point is that after 7 years my C240 feels the same as a brand new 2007 car. No rattles, not squeaks, not broken things. Tight as ever.

My brother bought my 93 Probe GT, which I had maintained meticulously while driving it very hard. It has 260,000 miles on it now and still going. If the Ford with a mazda engine can last that long when it's taken care of, I'm sure I'll get twice as much from my C240 which now has ony 72,000 miles. Being in the southeast, I drive my Audi Cabriolet - which I bought almost three years ago as a second car - most of the summer, fall and spring. That saves miles off my MB all while I get a nice tan.

It's like my friend's Dad says. He lives in a third world country, where the all the taxis are old MBs, cause nothing else would last 30 years with all the bad roads and potholes: "He who does not have a Mercedes, does not have a car". If you talk to that guy, you'll never buy anything else.

As you can see, the words "feel" come up quite a bit when you talk MB. It's not about comparing on paper. Most other cars have more horsepower and cost less.Repairing MBs is also more expensive and I've had my share of issues. I'm surprised I still ownthe car given how many issues I've had with it (most fixed under warranty). However, It's like Bluesilver said above, if you keep it for the long run and do some of the repairs yourself, you'll come out ahead on the long run with a MB. That is unless you like get bored easily and like changing cars every few years anyway.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:04 PM

I think "feel" comes up when we talk about these cars because, quite simply, no one really NEEDS a Mercedes Benz. People may NEED a reliable automobile to get them from point A to point B. Many cars will do that - many from Korea for less than $20k will do that.

A Mercedes Benz, like a BMW or other luxury marque is a little bit of a gift to yourself.....

-Eric

Old 07-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

I almost put a set of kumhos on the 190, but for some reason I went with the Michellins. I really cant justify that decision. The Michellins were $600 for the set and the Kumhos were under $300. I've never tried the Kumhos; I'm waiting for feedback from other drivers before I try them on my car.
Since the Kumhos are basically offering 30% more treadlife for the half the money, the Michellins had better reveal something of value while on the car, such as top handling, smoothness, quietness, etc. I'll keep you informed

Blue

Old 07-14-2007, 08:59 PM

I tried the Kumho's. Did not like them. They were too hard, did not handle well and lasted only just over 20,000miles.
My Continental Contitouring that came as OEM lasted 42,000miles while being perfect.
I'm now on my third set of tires, the lastest Dunlops. I like them so far.
The low prices on the Kumhos is not worth the mounting, unmounting, scratching the rims in the process only to have a below average, rough ride.
All H-Rated tires BTW.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:39 PM

C240 - class, luxury, the star
G35 - power, JDM