Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

C230 transmission conductor plate questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Question C230 transmission conductor plate questions

I'm having a problem with my automatic transmission (722.6) on my 1998 Mercedes-Benz Base Sedan 4-Door 2.3L 2295CC l4 GAS DOHC naturally aspirated, 250K miles. The transmission takes about 5 minutes to engage from 'Park' to 'Drive' (reverse works fine). Here is what happens: After putting the car in drive the transmission does not engage. So I sit with my feet on the brakes for about 5 minutes after putting the car in drive. During that time I could feel the transmission jumping like it wants to engage. Then after 5 minutes I can feel it (hard shift) into gear and it is ready to drive. Here is what I had done so far: Complete transmission fluid change 4 years ago, recently changed the connector plug to the transmission, since it was wet with fluid. This did not help solve the problem. Getting a P0700 code, which state a possible 'Conductor plate' problem. I would like to change the conductor plate myself, so here are my questions:
1-Do I need to replace or buy any new components parts (solenoids, shifts valves, etc) on the plate?
2-Do I have to change the transmission fluid, filter and gaskets, once I change the plate or can I use the old stuff again?
3-Do I need special tools to change the plate?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any recommendations/suggestions?

Thanks.
John

Old 06-01-2012, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by jmsbiz
I'm having a problem with my automatic transmission (722.6) on my 1998 Mercedes-Benz Base Sedan 4-Door 2.3L 2295CC l4 GAS DOHC naturally aspirated, 250K miles. The transmission takes about 5 minutes to engage from 'Park' to 'Drive' (reverse works fine). Here is what happens: After putting the car in drive the transmission does not engage. So I sit with my feet on the brakes for about 5 minutes after putting the car in drive. During that time I could feel the transmission jumping like it wants to engage. Then after 5 minutes I can feel it (hard shift) into gear and it is ready to drive. Here is what I had done so far: Complete transmission fluid change 4 years ago, recently changed the connector plug to the transmission, since it was wet with fluid. This did not help solve the problem. Getting a P0700 code, which state a possible 'Conductor plate' problem. I would like to change the conductor plate myself, so here are my questions:
1-Do I need to replace or buy any new components parts (solenoids, shifts valves, etc) on the plate?
2-Do I have to change the transmission fluid, filter and gaskets, once I change the plate or can I use the old stuff again?
3-Do I need special tools to change the plate?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any recommendations/suggestions?

Thanks.
John
no special tools needed, you can reuse the gasket and screws but ofcourse its not recommended. there is no extra things you need to buy. just get the conductor plate. Make sure when you do the job to be clean. youlll be removeing the shift valves and make sure you put them back in the correct spot. when i have the valve body out i remove the shift valves and place them right next to where i removed it from. also make sure the conductor plate is fully seated and the 2 tabs are clipped into the valve body. when installing the valve body back onto the transmission..make sure the shift linkage rod is in the correct spot on the valve body. fill back up with about 4 quarts tranny fluid. make sure you have the correct amount amount of fluid in the trans. which im sure you already know that. too low level or too high level will have shift problems or engaugement problems. good luck

Old 06-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Default C230 transmission conductor plate questions

Thanks Chassis221 for your recommendations.

John