Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

C230 Kompressor Electrical Connector

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 08:40 PM
drh
Default C230 Kompressor Electrical Connector

I have a 2002 C230. Not too happy with the design quality of the product. Clever but doesn't hold up. Now I'm dealing with the turn signal light socket on the headlight cluster. I bought the modification kit -- a new socket with wires. I can get the new connector apart but I can't get the vehicle connector completely apart. I got the "sheath" off of the connector that surrounds the pins but I can't get the any of the pins to disengage from the connector (I need the no. 1 pin removed but tried the others). I hold a pointed probe to the side that has a hole and an allen wrench to the rectangular side but can't pull the pinned wire out of the connector. Anyone have any suggestions? It's all that's holding me up from putting this in and I hate to schedule yet another shop visit for this car. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Default RE: C230 Kompressor Electrical Connector

I had this done under warantee on my 02 C230 coupe. As you have found out the bulbs and the old turn signal holder create arcing if they are loose (many cars have loose fitting sockets) which causes intermittent signal failure. New bulbs don't solve the problem. Both of mine failed. Vehicle only has 27000 lm on it.
I have looked at my car to assist you if possible.
On the drivers side the new socket has BROWN and WHITE wires. The BROWN goes directly to a painted screw near the suspension tower (other brown wires are already there). The WHITE wire goes into what I assume is a fuse or relay with "PBT GF15" on the side. A BLK/WHT wire emerges from the other side. The BLK/WHT wire disappears beneath the black cloth tape that covers the wiring harness with the following 4 wires in it. Four wires; BLACK/GREY, BLACK/YELLOW, BLACK/WHITE & BROWN all go into a connector mounted behind the headlight. They made no attempt to remove any pins but instead soldered or wrapped tightly the wire underneath the black cloth tape. I do not want to remove the tape but I can tell you the whole job took less than a half hour at the dealership.

For the passenger side the BROWN wire goes directly to a painted screw to the left (outside) of the coolant system overflow. (other brown wires are already there). The WHITE still goes into the "PBT GF15" and on this side a GREEN/BLACK emerges. The GREEN/BLACK also disappears under the black cloth tape on the wiring harness that is connected to a connector mounted behind the headlights. The four wires on this side are:RED/GREY, YELLOW, WHITE & BROWN. None of the pins or connectors have been cut or removed.
This wordy description may or may not be of any use to you.
Good luck and let me know if you solve your problem.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:54 PM

Prior post--I have 27000 km or 16800 miles currently on vehicle.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:19 AM

the modification is very simple however you do need a special tool to remove the pins it makes it a bit easier

Old 06-16-2006, 02:17 AM
drh

Thanks for the responses. I looked over the harness connector again and tried the safety pin & small screw driver blade hand tools to release the connector pin. No luck (afraid I was going to yank the wire out of the connector). I'm almost resigned to using the vampire tap but figured I'd try first to learn about this connector tool. I'll call MB tomorrow to see if I can buy one but does anyone else know of an electrical connector pin release tool that's available on the market? Better yet, does it really require a special tool? I tried the pin-to-pinhole alone, then the blade alone, then in concert without luck. Thanks in advance!