Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

C230 diagnostic codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Default C230 diagnostic codes

Hi,
I have a 1998 C230 sport which has died and will not start. I had a few problems with it stalling but now its dead.
As I was getting no fuel flow I changed the pump relay which made no difference. On starting the red and green lights on the mirror flash.
I tried disconnecting the battery removing key batteries etc but still nothing.
I had a mate put his diagnotics on it and the following codes showed up. I would really appreciate any help with these.
HFM/ME2 Sequential fuel injection
EA/CC/ISC El Acc/cruise
cnt/idle speedo
Thank you in advance.
Dave

Old 05-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Wink

I'm betting your fuel pump itself is history. Mine did the same thing at about 100K miles.
New fuel pump and relay at that time fixed it.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Default fuel pump aaagh

Hi
Why was I hoping not to hear that.
Read a few previous threads and seems to get to the pump the tank has to come out......am I right ?.
I did a complete brake pipe replacement recently and instead of the massive job of taking the tank out to go over the top I went round it.
If the tank has to come out can the floor be cut above it instead to give access.
Replies gratefully received.
Dave

Old 05-31-2009, 09:14 PM

If I remember correctly form looking at my 98 c230, the pump comes out the front of the one tank. The w202 has a saddle style tank, with a sending unit on each side, and I think the driverside has the fuel pump on it. (look for fuel lines to indicate)

Old 06-01-2009, 04:26 AM
Default C230 fuel pump

Hi,
I do know that mines the saddle type fuel tank which is why i'd prefer not to remove it to get the pump out as it means prop shaft, exhaust and handbrake to come off so would rather cut a hole in the floor to access the pump if this is possible.
Or can the tank be released enough from its mountings to get at the pump from below.
Do the diagnostic codes that i showed in my previous message show it could be the pump ?.
In the boot next to the fuses there is the pump relay which I have replaced and also two lots of wires going through the floor. Which one is for the pump so I could test it.
Thanks

Old 06-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Talking

Remember, my guess was the pump itself. But that was only a guess. DIAGNOSE first, then replace only if necessary to save cost and labor. If it were mine, I would put a line gauge on the motor fitting to measure fuel pressure first. If that tells you the pump is gone, only then would I get one and put it in. I would not cut a hole in the floor. I believe that job is done through the front part of the tank as it was on my 05 C230K. Good luck.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:40 AM

Hi
Thanks for your help. Can anyone say if the diag codes I have up would be the result of the pump not working.
Also does the whole tank have to come out to remove the pump. The fuel lines do go to the tank in front of the nearside rear wheel and all I can see is the wires to the sender.
As I said I replaced the brake pipes but because the front to back one went over the tank I went around instead as it looked like a massive job to take the tank out. It looked like the propshaft, exhaust and handbrake had to come out.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Default update

I have now had the pump off and it checked out ok and working. The pump itself was a doddle to get off as it wasnt in the tank but behind it near rear wheel.
I am now back with the original problem of the diag codes with the engine turning over but no spark or fuel.
HELP