Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

C230 Coupe third brake light

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 01:53 AM
Default C230 Coupe third brake light

Today I went to MBUSA to "build a C230 Coupe" It's gone!

Am i missing something or has it been phased out.

I was wondering if I could replace the third LED red brake light on my C230 SS with that of the clear one on the Coupe.

Has anyone done this yet or can I just buy an after market clear LED brake light.

Old 04-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Default RE: C230 Coupe third brake light

Mercedes has dropped the C230 from their website, however a recent trip to my dealer , there were quite on few on the lot. Someone mentioned Mercedes is dropping the Coupe to make room for the A class, and or the Smart Car, the status of both are up in the air at this point. You can try www.performanceproducts.com, they carry lenses and other custom items for your ride.

I recently read an article about Mercedes and their US operations. It seems when the company inrtroduced their "new style" C, E, S class over the past years, their were loads of quality issues, people remarked they couldn't tell a Mercedes from a Kia or Honda, etc. Sales except for the high end models were down, which was not good as the C and E have been the staple for US sales. Mercedes did some restyling to the C Class for 05 and Automobile magazine commented, Mercedes are starting to look like a Mercedes again. Also, Mercedes is supposed to back on line with quality issues, so I guess it remains to be seen what "new" models we be coming down the road. Personally I think the Smart Cars are smart for Europe and other parts of the world, but North America might be a different story. The A glass, to me is more of a cross over vehicle and not particularly attractive. J.D. Powers did a recent survery on luxo cars and Mercedes was not the first pick as a luxo model in the survery, Lexus and Cadillac received higher ratings as the luxo car of choice. In the case of Cadillac this is wonderful, as these cars have taken a beaten for a long time and were regulated to the retired person car of choice. Now the new styling, big engines, stick shift, big support in sedan racing has raised the brands status and is slowly lowering the average age of buyers, which Cadillac was hoping to do. I drove an 04 CTS and found it to be a wonderful automobile, nimble, sure footed and fast enough for my taste.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:48 PM

The A-class has been out in Europe for ages & I hate it. As for the Smart, it is just as bad!
But that's my opinion. I don't remember seeing the clear third brake ligt at performance products, but I'll check again.
Thanx.

Old 04-18-2005, 07:51 PM

If they don't have it you can always try eBay?

Old 04-18-2005, 08:52 PM

Mercedes took out the C-class coupe from its U.S. line up.
Plans to bring the all-new B-class and Smart ForMore to the U.S. has been postponed. Mercedes is no longer the "money-generator" it once was, weak dollar and quality issue are the causes.
Although Mercedes has posted record-sales in the U.S. over the past few years, but thats still not enough to beat Lexus, BMW, and in 2004, even Cadillac found more buyers. (Acura wasn't far behind)
DaimlerChrysler turned Chrysler around, but somehow Mercedes was turned around too.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:02 PM

I think Mercedes got the taken on the Chrysler. For some reason only known to Mercedes, they wanted a presents in the US via a manufacture. Ford and GM obviously not for sale and if they were, Mercedes and probably not many companies could pay the price. Chrysler, has been in trouble for years and Mercedes thought they say an opportunity and this combo is bringing them down. I guess they haven't learned from WW II, when the german army took on the Russian front as well as the western front. This tacticle error was the beginning of the end of the Third Reich.

Also, American and German companies are two very different cultures, Mercedes tried and is still trying to get Chrysler to think like they think. Which is arrogances at it best. There are some positive things that have come from the merger, the 300 etc. Besides being a good car, think E Class, Mercedes has marketed the car in a way to the public that you are getting a Mercedes under the American body, which is true, but the did it in a way, so the die hard Mercedes owner is not offended.

I always liked the C Coupe, too bad it gone, as I wrote once before, if I didn't have such a bad back, I would have got one. If only for the glass roof option.