Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

C220 Camshaft broke!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Default C220 Camshaft broke!

I recently had the head rebuilt on my 1994 MB C220 and the machine shop didn't lube it properly. Upon starting the engine it ran fine. Ten minutes later, the camshaft bearings spun, seized the cam and cracked it where the shaft meets the timing gear. Anyways... I need help locating a new, preferably used camshaft to replace the broken one. Is there any suggestions on where to begin my search. I've tried a Google search and found nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: C220 Camshaft broke!

If you must buy used parts... google Vines salvage in New York. The place is so huge, I would be surprized if they didn't have one on the shelf. It might be easier and cheaper to get the entire engine.

You probably already know that when assembling the cam and head assembly, the oil clearances should be checked with a product like "plastigage" to determine if the machine-work and fit will last any amount of time.The bearing surfaces should also be sprayed with layout die, and turned by hand to check for proper alignment, warpage, rubbing, edges etc. A real machinist/engine builder would have done this, and would have known before he even put it on the car if it would last.

Blue

Old 08-26-2008, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the reply. I located Vines Salvage in Google and contacted them. They informed me that they are a specialty salvage yard for BMW's only. Any other suggestions? It doesn't have to be used. A new one will suffice, however, I didn't think that there are any after market manufacterers, hence my search for a salvaged one. I just want Brunhild back on the road as soon as possible.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator

Three years ago I was shopping MB V12 blocks there; Ihaven't spoke to anyone there since. BMW's only? Many of the salvage yards in my state are not keeping cars like they used to I have noticed.My wife needs new fenders for her Honda odyssey every year, but I have never been able to locate any used. I began asking what was going on with the yards, and was told that environmental regulations have tightened regarding junk cars leaking fluids, also that recycling the entire vehicle is a quick turnover.

Somebody out there must have one!
Probably the quickest way is to get it from the dealer; here they could have it next day, but it will cost $.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:02 AM

I found one at www.mercedesengines.net at a cost of $425. First he said $300 until I told him my VIN# and he said "Oh, you're in Canada, let me see, $425 then" I didn't care. I couldn't find one anywhere. So it's on it's way. It was easier to find a rebuilt engine for about $1200 though. They're everywhere. Shops just don't want to pull cams out of them cuz then they can't sell the engine. Mine broke due to incorrect tensioner adjustment. Was your engine "whining" when it was running. Kinda like a supercharger does? That's from a tight chain.