Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

C180 stalls shortly after startup...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Default C180 stalls shortly after startup...any ideas?

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, i'm hoping to get some ideas as to why my '97 c180 stalls a couple of minutes after I start it, while stationary or on the move!!!

I have had a diagnostics done, nothing, air flow meter wasn't the best, replaced that, no joy, I have also replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the idle control and trottle body, sparks all ok, service done including filters, runs fine, doesn't miss a beat, but consistantly aprox 5min after startup it dies, it'll start again no problem and run on.

I initially thought it ran until the fuel in the lines ran out and then it would stall, i changed fuel filter, nothing on diag, tried some additive in the fuel to help clean injectors, also replaced the battery.

I'm thinking the obv may be the fuel pump, but as it runs no problem after that it doesn't make sense and would a faulty pump show up in diagnostics?

any ideas as to cause and possible solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Barry

Old 03-25-2010, 05:36 AM

1. vacuum leak at the throttle body, inlet manifold or associated hoses,
2. fuel filter choked,
3. fuel pump faulty or delivery pressure low,
4. fuel tank vent blocked or fuel pipes restricted
5. fuel injection system fault. / clean with Techron fuel system cleaner /

Old 03-29-2010, 04:03 PM

1. check for leaks....brake cleaner /wd40...nothing, engine didn't change tone

2. Filter Changed

3. Tried another fuel pump..no joy, same thing, strange as i can hear pump start up aswell.

4. no sign of any blockage, car runs well other than shortly after startup, doesn't stall / pickup is as good as expected.

5. Nothing showing up in diagnostics, as no. 4, car runs well, have tried cleaning sys.....

air / oil filter....sparks, air flow meter, fuel pump, running out of things to do, has anyone had a similar issue, what was the outcome?

its very inconsistant too, is it possible to flood the engine or anything like that would cause it to stall? Running in high gears at low speeds?

Edit: forgot to mention, if left idling from startup, after 5min or so, the engine revs will drop, the car compensates, the revs start to bounce and settle again...its generally perfect after that.

Last edited by Barry_Mc; 03-29-2010 at 04:07 PM.