Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes C Class (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-c-class-10/)
-   -   A/C is random (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-c-class-10/c-random-5469/)

evillwock 07-06-2005 04:20 PM

A/C is random

Hi,

Last summer my A/C burned out so I had the whole condenser/etc. unit under the hood replaced. From that point untill today the A/C blows cold, but only 75% of the time. It randomly shuts off for a period of time, and will then come back on.

Im wondering if this is effected by air flow or the temperature outside?

-Evan

C280 wizard 07-06-2005 05:16 PM

RE: A/C is random

Is your engine under load alot, ie fast acceleration, up hills, passing etc. These conditions will shut down the compressor for a few seconds. The AC in my C class is effective by outside temps to a certain extent, if it is say 65 degrees F out and I want to turn the AC on I have to set the HVAC below 65 degrees F so the AC does come on. Or as always there could be a sensor or a temp control situation in the system? Sometimes I am baffled by what our cars do. Yesterday I went to start it and turned the key tothe start position and nothing, I turn it back and took it out waited a couple seconds inserted ( God that is a sexy word inserted) and it kicked right over. Try to figure

evillwock 07-07-2005 10:49 AM

Yeah, im an agressive driver, but this usually happens when im just chillin, and it hapens for more then 5-10min at a time when it does shut off.

When I said outside temperatures, i meant, if its 95F and Humid or im in traffic and its hot out, will this shut it off?

SL600_Cruzin 07-07-2005 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: evillwock

Hi,

Last summer my A/C burned out so I had the whole condenser/etc. unit under the hood replaced. From that point untill today the A/C blows cold, but only 75% of the time. It randomly shuts off for a period of time, and will then come back on.

Im wondering if this is effected by air flow or the temperature outside?

-Evan
Depends upon what kind of car are we talking about. Do you have manual A/C ? Climate Control ? Etc... Please giv eus some more info and we may be able to help.
Cheers,
TJ

eurotrashboy 07-07-2005 11:16 AM

When the a/c shuts off, is there a big change of temperature inside the car?

evillwock 07-07-2005 11:29 AM

Its somewhat of a change. It doesnt blow "warm" air, its just not cold, more off-cold 20F warmer.

Its a 1997 C230 with a Climate Control Unit (the digital one with the screen)

eurotrashboy 07-07-2005 12:24 PM

I know this is a silly question but when you have the a/c on, is it on automatic or manual? On my 95 c280 i can turn the automatic climate control off and have the a/c constantly on. I'm not sure if that helps at all.

evillwock 07-07-2005 12:29 PM

I switch back and forth, I just recently started doing it manually, so I can choose what vents it comes out of, but there really is no manual as you set the temperature and it automatically trys to achieve that.

C280 wizard 07-07-2005 02:23 PM

I have climate control on my 99 and use it manual and auto, and the only time I've had the compressor shut off, is under heavy load, so I think you got a problem with a relay, sensor etc?

evillwock 07-07-2005 02:58 PM

must be...