Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

A/C Condenssor & Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Smile A/C Condenssor & Transmission Fluid

I've 2003 c230 with 77k miles on it.
I had some issue with a fluid leakage infront of engine. It wasn't a major leakage. I would notice it infront of engine between the oil changes. I thought it was coming from the engine valve sensors. My mechanic took a look at it from underneath the vehicle and he think its coming from A/C condenssor. I did have a problem with A/C when the vehicle had about 15k on it. A/C went out on the way to Vegas. Anyway, the mechanic thinks there is oil leaking from the condenssor. Has any body had similar problem? Do I need to replace the whole condenssor or just the sensor coming out of the condenssor?
The second question. I've notice that some people from the forum has replace their transmission oil. Both the manuel and my mechanic said the transmission oil does not need to be replace. This doesn't make sense. First of all, I've found that online stores are selling transmission filters. Second, what happens to all the metal debris from transmission?
I don't want to spend couple of thousand dollars when this vehicle's transmission goes out.
Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Let me know, I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by xlibe; 04-30-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Talking

As with anything else, everybody has their own opinions on this "transmission fluid change" thing. Here's mine. RUN, do not walk, to the nearest place to get this done NOW. My service advisor (and personal friend) at Mercedes Benz told me that the "lifetime" fluid and filter is a sales pitch and not to be believed. I did mine at 90K and again at 155K. It's a 2005 C230K and yes, I drive it. And since I live in a very hot summer climate, it's even more important.
One could argue (your mechanic) that's wrong. Do you really want to leave that dirty fluid in there until it breaks? Pay a little now or a LOT later. A whole lot. Your choice. But, of course, you knew all this already, right?

Old 05-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Default Transmission & A/C condensor

Mrcoyote,
As always, thanks for your reply. Did you just change the transmission oil or did you also change the filter as well. Also some one from the forum also mention that you can not empty all the tranmission oil at once so they ended up replacing it more than once. Is this accurate?
Can this be done at home? How difficult is it? I change my own oils-is it similar to oil change?

Another question is did you had any problem with your A/C condenser where it started to leak oil into engine bay? I did not used the A/C for 1 week and there is slight oil residual like it was spread onto the front of the engine (where the value sensors are located). Could this be something else?
I would really appreciate your input. I'm going to take the vehicle in tomorrow for detail check up.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Talking

OK, first the transmission oil thing> I had Mercedes do the trans. fluid AND filter. You always want to do the transmission filter on any car when you change the fluid. First of all, you have to lower (drop) the tranny pan when you do this anyway, and that in itself exposes the little black plastic filter under there. So, why not do it then. That's kinda like changing oil in your car without doing the filter too. So, having said that, yes....you could do it yourself, but it's a messy job under your car if you don't have a lift and for this one only, I just bit the bullet and let MB do it. I did ask for the filter back so I could see how gunked up it was or wasn't. It wasn't too bad, but yes, there was some junk in it. You would need the correct amount of new tranny fluid (from Mercedes), a pan gasket, a filter, etc. to do the job. Your choice. I myself wouldn't do that one at home under my car. I've done others, I learned.

OK, now the stuff on the front of your engine, i.e., the condenser problem. I would have somebody at the shop give that a real close look up on a lift before I sunk a ton of money into a new condenser. Yes, it might be that, but it might be a sensor leaking or something else, and you don't want to pay twice, do you? Of course not. So, diagnose it carefully and replace only what's leaking. That's the right way to do it. :-p

Old 05-04-2009, 06:25 PM

Thanks mrcoyote,
I'll trust your word on transmission and let the dealer change the oil.
How much did you pay for the service?

On the other issue, I'll have the mechanic take a closer look at it before he changes anything else. He is expecting the cost will be app. $ 500 for replacing condenser.
Thanks again for your info.