Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

break replacement warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Default break replacement warning

02 MB c240. I recently had the front brake pads and rotors replaced at an independent shop. He wasn't sure how to reset the Break Replacement warning that comes on everytime I start the car.
Does anyone know how I can reset that myself? or do I have to take that to a dealership to have them turn it off?

Thanks for you help!

Old 10-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Default RE: break replacement warning

As far as i remember, it will clear it self if the sensors are good...

Old 10-18-2007, 11:33 PM

Did he replace or charge you for a brake sensor on the front caliper?
If not, the light won't go out. If so, the light should be out.
The new sensor will tell the system your brake pads are new.
On my car, there is only ONE sensor, and that's on the right front wheel.
Since the front pads typically wear out quicker than the rear, there is only a need for one on the front
and only on one side, since the fronts wear about the same side to side. Cost me less than ten bucks last
time I bought one.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:50 PM

Mrcoyote, is that how you got the brake ware warning to go out? It is my understanding that the way the sensor works is:
As the pad friction material wares out, it will eventually allow de face of the sensor to make contact with the brake rotor. This provides a ground through the rotor to the signal going back to the computer module. When this discrete input to the computer module goes low, it causes the computer module to set an output (brake ware) and this output remains active until the computer is reset. The sensor has only one wire and by basic electrical principals, having that sensor touch the brake rotor is the only way the car knows the pads need replacement.I too need to find out how to reset this warning and hopefully I do not have to take it to that money pit call dealership.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:17 AM

If you have replaced the brake wear sensor when you replaced the pads and rotor, the warning light should go off. This is what is normally done, especially if the warning light had come on before pad replacement. The sensor is quite cheap and you need only one.There is no necessity to reset the ECU/go to the dealer.
Shan.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:06 AM

I believe Shan is correct.
When my sensor was replaced, there was no light on anymore.
Never took it to the dealer to reset anything. I understand a lot of people change the pads and rotors
BEFORE the sensor trips the light. In that case, I would put a new sensor on at the time of the brake
job anyway. They're cheap and easy to do. Just plugs in.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:56 AM

Shan, mycoyote, thanks I appreciate your feedback.
I replaced the sensor as you suggested and it did away with the brake ware massage in the instrument panel. In case you are interested:
The sensor has two leads, a new (unused) sensor measures 0 resistances (has continuity) across both leads. The old sensor (a sensor that has triggered the Brake Ware warning message) showes infinite resistance (no continuity or open circuit).
I paid $9.50 for the sensor at the MB dealer and to replace it, all I had to do was remove the right front wheel and then disconnect and pulled the old sensor and replaced it with the new sensor. There was no need to pull the brake pads out, it took 15 minutes.

My sister-in-law, owner of this car, called the MB dealer and asked for a quote to have the error reset and she was told it would be $20 for the part and $105.00 for the labor.

Thanks again

Old 12-16-2007, 07:51 PM

I have a 2001 C320 and I just replaced my front brakes and my rearbrakes are almost new. I am still getting the ESP, BAS, ABS, Brake Lining Wear Visit Workshop Error Codes. Why am I still getting these error codes?? Do I have to reset the computer and, if so, how do I do that??? Can anyone help me out in this area???? I got the error codes before I had the front brakes done. I had new pads, rotors, and sensors installed in the front and I am still getting these crazy error codes.