Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Bigger Rims?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Default Bigger Rims?

What are the advantages of bigger rims? Nowadays, every car seems to have bigger rims than their predecessors.

In order to maintain the same outer diameter (so that the speedometer is till accurate), the tire height has to come smaller. Hence the name low profile.

Traditionally, fat tires are for truck and low-profile tires are for sporty ones. I know at least that.

But, what are the technical truth behind all these?

One disadvantage of riding on low-profile tires is that -- if you come hard on a pot hole, the road bangs the rim. Now your new fancy expensive rim is warped or deformed! Why would anyone want that? Besides, low-profiles are noisy and bumpy.

Old 08-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Default RE: Bigger Rims?

ORIGINAL: fly_major_fly

One disadvantage of riding on low-profile tires is that -- if you come hard on a pot hole, the road bangs the rim. Now your new fancy expensive rim is warped or deformed! Why would anyone want that? .
Because it "looks cool" [&o][&o]
Less, than 1% of owners use low-profile tire for better cornering performance, but what amaze me the most is low-profile offered on off-road vehicles (SUV).
But than we have drive-thru ATM with Braille signs.

Old 08-25-2005, 12:13 AM

but what amaze me the most is low-profile offered on off-road vehicles (SUV).
I couldn't agree more. And, the low profile tires have, natrually, tread designs for the street; which suck off- road, making them look more silly.

However, if you have "15 rims, I wouldn't hesitate going to "16 and a slightly lower profile tire. It will be wider too and this puts more rubber on the road while the lower profile has shorter sidewalls so stearing is more responsive. I'd first check with MB to seel if they have a problem with the change.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:32 AM

The vast majority of SUVs on the road today have never been off-road, and never will.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:50 PM

The vast majority of SUVs on the road today have never been off-road, and never will.
True, true. It just offends my sensibilities, like a spoiler on a truck, or spinner hubcaps. It's true that spoilers on most cars are only for looks, but at least they harken to a real race set-up.

Old 08-25-2005, 11:49 PM

I'd put 20" low-profile tires on my truck... if I were a pimp.

Rear spoilers on street cars just slow them down and cost mpg because of drag. I think factory-types look gawdy and some aftermarket ones look downright stupid. Some look like a girder from a steel bridge fell on their car and got stuck on the trunk.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:50 AM

ORIGINAL: RockSolid

[ like a spoiler on a truck, or spinner hubcaps.
That's an idea. My old flatbed looks dull. Low-profile tires with the ratings I need are out of question.
Maybe rear spoiler and some hubcaps will make it look more SPEEDY
Years ago I read reports, that so popular in 80's front spoiler proved to totally inefficient on the speeds below 130 kph.
So all they did for most of the drivers was adding the weight.

Old 08-28-2005, 01:27 AM

Why not paint "Go faster" stripes on the side? Works a lot better than an expensive spoiler.

Old 08-28-2005, 01:40 AM

Who says the spoiler needs to be expensive.
Few months ago someone was selling "beefed up" Honda on ebay.
The "power scoop" on the hood made of 1/2 of office-size trash can, the rear spoiler took a member of old pallet and some 3/4" galvanized pipes fittings.
There was more there, but I don't remember.
From what I remember for $19 material investment in the car, the seller got multiply return.

Old 08-28-2005, 01:54 AM

Polack Spoiler

Quick Reply: Bigger Rims?