Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAS ASR light

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Default BAS ASR light

I have recently added a 1999 C230 Kompressor to my collection and have a nagging problem. The BAS ASR light is on and the cruise will not work. I followed a lead from another post about disconnecting the battery for 3 minutes as well as turning the steering wheel lock to lock a few times to no avail. I have also purchased a brake light switch as an inexpensive possibility. Lastly I noticed that the brand new tires that came on the car are 215/60/15 rather than the original 205/60/15. Could this be my problem. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Old 08-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Default RE: BAS ASR light

All you have to do is change the brake pedal switch i believe that is your problem.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:43 PM

here is the steps in changing th brake pedal switch. i had the exact same problem and when i changed it, it was fixed for good. Good Luck http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...light-fix.html

Old 08-08-2006, 06:32 PM

benzpimp, many thanks, I already have one on order. Waiting on UPS. Thanks for the info and instructions.
Steve

Old 08-10-2006, 09:42 PM

benzpimp,

I wanted to thank you for you advice on the brake light switch. Followed your instructions to the letter. Perfect. Works as new. Many thanks as this was definitely the cheapest and easiest repair Ive done to any of the "family."

Again, many thanks.

Steve

Old 08-11-2006, 02:04 PM

No problem Moocedes the exact same thing happend to me and i just wanted to help another mercedes owner out the cheapest way possible.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:52 PM

Hello, I just want to warn people with MB and having to replace that brake switch.

I have a 1995 SL 500 and the wires going to the brake switch has two pairs of wires going to the switch, The top pair sends 12 volts to the ea, cc and isc modules, Well the wire caught fire and almost cost me a wiring harness. Something caused the short in the wires.TheASR/ABS lights came on,and brake lights did not work, after I unshorted the wires the lights went off anf the brakes work, cc works and all seems ok except the burned wires.

After reading this forum and several other I have been looking at. It seems that MB has been replacing alot of switches and wiring harness and charging big bucks.

I also own a 1995 for truck, and last year I got a recall notice, that says that the cruise control (CC) can cause an under the hood fire.

Seems to me that MB should have a recall also.

I was told by MB USA when I wrote them about the problem, to take it to a dealer and they would work with me. Well I callled them and guess what, They want big bucks to replace the switch and any wires that might have burned, nothing about helping me trouble shoot the cause of the FIRE in the first place and no safety recall as of yet.