Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Am I being ripped off???

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 01:26 PM
Default RE: Am I being ripped off???

I owned a wonderful super-charged Mazda Millenia. It was running great until I steam-cleaned the engine.

Yes, I did it myself carefully; careful as in making sure I don't go close to wiring and connections.

After that cleaning...the idle goes wild, the car chokes, and power and rpm would drop suddenly while driving. Engine sounded like I put a few pieces of pots and pans into it.

Two days later, the problem went away.

I still have not found out what happened.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:40 PM

I've been washing my engines for decades. But even having industrial pressure washer I never use it. OK I used it on old Detroit, that had accumulated almost an inch of oil/dust mixture, that dried solid over the years.
Amazingly when you do it on regular bases, all it takes to remove some oil residue and sand on warm engine is plain water.
Having 160 psi in my garden hose helps.
I can imagine, that actual steam can penetrate some isolated wiring and shorten it, before drying.
MVAANAND is happy and that's all it counts.

Old 10-21-2005, 09:24 PM

160psi, i call bull****.

Im glad you got a good deal in the end there man!!!

Old 10-27-2005, 02:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Kajtek1

There are at least 2 professions on this World, that no matter perfect job, or total screw-up, still get paid full amount.
That's why I don't go to doctors and fix the cars myself.
Don't forget the weather man.

I had the same problem with my 2004 AC but they gassed it under warranty then i went back after 1000 miles for a check & there were no leaks.

WOW $350 for a dye refill!!!

Old 10-27-2005, 02:41 AM

I was under an impression, that witchcraft and weather-forecasting is genetic skill, not a profession?
The firs Service A on our ML cost $48, back in 1999. Now they want $370.
Can't blame all of that on inflation?

Old 10-28-2005, 12:05 PM

So, which planet do you think that Kajtek1 guy is from? He believes weathermen are born and he believes in witches.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:50 PM

Yeah. Like analyzing facts and considering other options is so unusual on this planet.
You can save your usual nationalistic crap here Lugnut.
I am getting similar comments on Polish forum as well.

Old 10-29-2005, 01:21 AM

You're analyzing weatherman and witchcraft facts and options on this planet like you did on yours? Huh?

So, the other Polacks know you're a moron, too? I figured so.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:56 AM

By now Lugnut, you might realize, that I like to play intellectual riddles.
So if you could move your brain, you might come to the conclusion, that I believe in weather forecasting as much as I believe in witchcraft. But you can't move something that doesn't exist, so trust me, intellectual riddles are not for everybody.

Old 10-29-2005, 06:21 AM

ORIGINAL: MVAANAND
Hello Everybody,

I own a c220 1995 Benz with 95 k miles on it. Recently the a/c in my car was blowing only hot air and I gave the car to a mercedes service center. They said they had to steam wash the engine and fill the a/c with a dye so as to find out where the a/c leak was. They charged me $ 350 for this. I was asked to come back later after 500 miles for them to check if the a/c was ok or if the leak had to be fixed. They also gave me an estimate for other repairs that the car needed(for about 1000 $).

A day after that when i started the car I could sense a vibration and the check engine lights came on. The same service station checked my car and after a day the called me and let me know that some water had gone in during the steam wash and that they would fix the problem for free. 10 minutes later they called me again and said that the problem hasnt cleared and that they found out that the wiring harness had to be replaced. This would cost me 1300 $...but the service station is willing to provide a discount and that i'd have to pay only 600 $.

Has anyone else had a similar problem....I have a feeling that something they did to fix the a/c is causing this problem. They said that this isnt because of the steam wash and that as cars become old parts need to be replced as well. why did they tell me that the steam wash caused this pblm in the first place then?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Glad your problem got sorted out in the end.

But here's some advice on anyone thinking of doing this in the future.

On some of the earlier Benz models from around '90 to '95, the manufacturer happend to use substandard materials in the wiring harness. What would happen is the insulation on the wiring harness (specially areas affected by heat) would begin to crumble and fall off the wiring with regular engine/driving vibrations.

What more than likely happend in your case is that when they pressure washed your engine they actually blew off the already failing insulation from the harness.

So if anyone plans on pressure washing their engines, make damn sure to REALLY checkout your wiring harness before you even start. If it shows the "signs" of failure (ie. insulation coming off) close the hood and don't even think about washing that engine until you have replaced the harness.

Just my .02 cents

Cheers

Quick Reply: Am I being ripped off???