Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

98 C230 4cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Default 98 C230 4cylinder

I just bought this car from a friend that had the car sitting in the garage for about a year. The car started up however, was a bit shaky on idle "tune up". Being my first Mercedes, what should a tune up cost? can i do this myself or should i pay a mechanic?

let me know if you have come across this problem...

W202 98

Old 06-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Default 98 C230 4cylinder

To bad you did not read my posted under "Thinking of purchasing a 1997 C230" before your purchase. In my post I mentioned that you (plural) should never purchase a Benz without an evaluation by a MB dealership. I only recommend an MB dealership, because they have the propriety diagnostic equipment that can find any problem. Otherwise, try to stay away from them.

Now getting back to your question.... "car shaky on idle what does a tune up cost?". First, you assume that a tune up will solve the problem.. but this is not a correct assumption. A shaking car can be several things. For example, bad gas, bad plugs,a loose hose or broken hose, bad sensor, dirty Mass Air filter......I could go on and on. So, here is what I recommend: Take the car to an MB dealer and ask them to do a diagnostic examination. The cost should be around $75-$100. They will give you a printout of the problems. Do not fix the car with them. Tell them you will think about it. Then you come back to this forum an ask questions based upon the computer printout. If you are a handy guy then you will be able to fix the problems yourself. If not, then take it to an independent mechanic shop. By the way, you can go to Amazon and do a search to get the cost of your tune parts. You will need plugs,air filter and maybe wires. But again, I don't recommend this approach unless your diagnostic examination calls for the parts. Good Luck!

Old 06-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Cool

Thanks for the advice, I went ahead and got the car checked for the code and it was mis-firing. Everything else was good for now so i took it to an independent mechanic shop that specializes in MB. Tune up cost me $450. Now i have to fix the sunroof and other than that I may not have to do much more for the C230 98. Body is in good-great condition for a car that has been sitting up for a year in the garage. Should have pics soon just looking for Brabus wheels/ tires to fit, supercharger(kompressor) and a HID kit oh yeah and my radio code need help with that!!!. I looked around and there are not too many part applications for the car so looks like i may have to go custom fab. we'll see!

W202-98