Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

2000 C200 Kompressor, reliable? Information please

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Default 2000 C200 Kompressor, reliable? Information please

Hi all,

New to this forum and at work at present, did not have time to do more than a quick search for this information, so I apologise if it has already been answered elsewhere...

I am about to buy a 2000 C200K for what I consider a damn good price, so far it appears to be in pristine condition. Google searching the model for reliability issues etc are fruitless to say the least (all I can find are reviews in general).

A couple of things I noticed onthe test drive were the following:

Steering wheel appears to betwisted about 10 degrees to the left, would this suggest that it has been crashed? Or more likely that it has had a light nose to tail and the air bag was replaced? I know it is easy to fix, but my experience is with Japanese cars, which I find a lot easier to find evidence of damage than on a euro.

On cold startup there was a hint of tappet noise that disappeared after it was warm, I currently own a Mitsubishi and am well used to that noise, is it common for a Benz? Is it something that I should stay well away from?

The LCD notebook screen appears to be fading at the top and bottom, you can still read all of the data. I am just wondering if that is a common problem for a model of this age.

Other than those things, the car is absolutely mint, it truly is a beautiful piece of equipment. It is smooth, and for the size of the engine/body, rather powerful. The only thing we will be doing is adding some new rims to enhance the look.

Is there anything that I should look for when checking it out further?

Here is a link: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=174361677

Thanks in advance for your help.