Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 C280 Radio Code Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Exclamation 1999 C280 Radio Code Problem

I just bought a 1999 C280 with what appears to be a stock radio/cd/tape/phone deck. See pic below. When I bought the car they had just replaced the battery and now the "CODE" displays on the radio. I got the code from Mercedes, but I can't figure out how to get the display to change so I can enter the code. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:16 PM

Update: I found the instructions for entering the code for my particular radio, and is says to input the code using the keypad on the right and then press OK. There is no "OK" button on my radio, so I assume as the correct code is entered, the display will show OK under one of the "soft keys" or sation buttons below the display. Either way, its not displaying anything but CODE with the "C" flashing, even when I type in the code.

I figure either I have the wrong code (which I doubt as I got it from Mercedes) or there is something wrong with the radio. I'm going to try removing and re-installing the radio to see if it "resets". Does anyone know of an alternate tool I can use in the slots to remove the radio? The manual shows (2) little flat "keys" that are inserted into the slots to remove the radio.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 05-02-2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by KentuckyPunk1968
Update: I found the instructions for entering the code for my particular radio, and is says to input the code using the keypad on the right and then press OK. There is no "OK" button on my radio, so I assume as the correct code is entered, the display will show OK under one of the "soft keys" or sation buttons below the display. Either way, its not displaying anything but CODE with the "C" flashing, even when I type in the code.

I figure either I have the wrong code (which I doubt as I got it from Mercedes) or there is something wrong with the radio. I'm going to try removing and re-installing the radio to see if it "resets". Does anyone know of an alternate tool I can use in the slots to remove the radio? The manual shows (2) little flat "keys" that are inserted into the slots to remove the radio.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
if the radio has been replaced in the past..your VIN will not give you the correct code. unless the dealer who installed the radio changed the code in the system which is pretty unlikely. youll need to give them the radio S/N on the radio then you might get the right code. the OK button is normally the button on the far right under the screen,..Yes if the code is wrong it wont display OK.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:02 AM

Try the entering the code you have then hit the scan button, worked well on mine. A tip from a good friend of mine on forum. From looking at your picture, I would think the scan button is next to the power button (right arrow) 3 o'clock position.

Last edited by JatMat; 05-04-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:37 PM

I appreciate all the responses! So far, no luck. I've tried all the recommendations, even pulled the radio to get the serial number and all the tags were BLANK??

By accident, I held the radio up to the light and noticed the serial number "b 3300/1277 C65 or b 3300/1277 C6S" very faintly etched into the top of the radio. I tried calling the dealership and they will not give me the code over the phone, I have to schedule a service appointment.....NOT!!

So, I have a buddy at work that is friends with a certified Mercedes mechanic, so he is searching for a code for me. If this last attempt doesn't work, I'm going to buy a DIN fit radio from Crutchfield and get on with life. Driving to work everyday listening to nothing is getting pretty old.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:29 PM

Good luck in getting the code, if it had not been a member of this forum, my radio would still be awaiting the code. Because I was not going to pay 120 dollars for a service call at the dealership.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:22 PM

I've officially thrown in the towel I just bought a DIN fit head unit from Crutchfield. Should be here in a couple days. I bought the wiring & antenna adapter so I can keep the factory wiring intact in the event I ever sell the car. I'll let you know how the installation goes.

I appreciate everyone's help and comments. They are much appreciated!!

Old 05-12-2012, 09:50 AM

Sorry to hear that, but, in light of the circumstances, I would have done the same. Nothing drives me nuttier than something I can not fix.
Jim

Old 05-16-2012, 08:39 PM

I received my new system from Crutchfield today. Took me about an hour to install (I heat shrinked all the connections to the wiring adapter to keep the factory wiring intact), but it was a perfect fit and looks & performs excellent!

I would highly suggest Crutchfield for anyone with a similar problem. Factory adapter was easy to wire and they match the radio to fit your car mount. It could'nt have been easier.

Again, thanks everyone for your comments and support!

Old 06-05-2012, 11:23 AM

My local dealer gave me the code over the phone they just had to check that I was the registered owner and the car hadn't been stolen.